Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dirty enviroment

I went to pick up my kids from their BF/SM's house and I about puked. I rarely go there, we normally have a pick up and drop off location in town, but his car was broke down and DD needed to go to the dr. The yard was trashed, broken down cars, trash, it was not appealing, but I don't judge a book by it's cover. When I walked inside: piles of dish in the sink and counters, dirty diapers on the floor,clothes and trash everywhere, it looked like the garbage and hamper exploded. The house reaked of cig smoke (DD is asthmatic). I want to call CPS but people think I'm being petty..WTF?! There are two other kids (4yrs & 1yr) the live there....isn't this abuse??

Answer Question

Asked by kjb9585 at 3:28 AM on Oct. 29, 2008 in General Parenting

Level 6 (116 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • i think it is. Children shouldnt be living in such a dirty environment. Not only can the cigarette smoke cause lung problems, but the dirtyness and germs in the dirty clothes, dirty diapers trash dirty dishes etc can cause sickness to the children. Imagine all the things you cant "see".

    thats repulsive and i would NOT let my kids be over there anymore.

    I would call CPS, but i would try and do it anonymous if possible to avoid problems.

    Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 3:33 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

  • HELL YES THATS ABUSE Children should not be living in that kind of filth and if I were you I would call CPS and not give the BF/SM a head's up they may try to straighten things up. You can call anonymously, your children are living part time in those conditions, I would make sure it doesn't happen anymore

    Answer by Married2theBest at 3:35 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

  • I have already filed for a new parenting plan and have not allowed my kids back. A parent should be responsible for their own actions. Not willfully endanger their children!! Callin in the morning.

    Answer by kjb9585 at 5:12 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

  • I would say it's neglect, not abuse. Some people are just slobs. ANd ignorant to the dangers of second hand smoke. They need education, and probably the DSS will come out to give it to them along w/ some guidance and supervision, Granted, there are some people who are just lazy, but that you are following your heart and calling it in will serve to be their wake up call. Good!

    Answer by onlycathyo at 8:07 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

  • You are not being petty by calling CPS, living in that kind of filth is wrong. You need to tell him that if he wants to see his daughter it has to be at your house because you cannot allow your daughter to be around that.

    Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:37 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

  • Call CPS anonymously, I say this because when my son was young I called on his biofather for neglect-my 3yo riding his bike ALONE on a known drug street- and they did not take me seriously saying they get too many calls that are just spiteful custody issues!

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

  • I agree, call CPS anonymously.  You aren't most likely the only one who has seen the pig-stye anyway.  It probably won't be termed abusive (I think it is) but they will probably call it neglect.


    Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

  • I agree with the other moms on this one that you should call...CPS or DCFS will not take kids out of a home though if there are dirty dishes, cloths on the floor or toys everywhere....but if there is garage, odors, general filth that is a danger to the kids...They WILL take them out until that person gets their act together. Your the Mom, do what you think is right for your DD!! I know I would. I raised my kids to be clean people and one doesn't, had to live with her temp because of moving and I yelled at her, no matter if she was 20...I told her here you are trying to have a baby...Do you want to bring a baby into a dirty home? I told my kids anything like this happens I will call on them myself. I didn't raise them that way and they shouldn't do that to their own kids.

    Answer by stayhomemom22 at 10:48 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

  • You can call CPS, but from experience I can tell you that if the kids have a bed to sleep in and food in the kitchen, there is not much they will do. My cousins kids were taken away for a week b/c of the utter filth. But after cleaning, the house still stunk and crap was everywhere. She got the kids back. It sucks, but what else can you do? At least it gets them into the systems and then they have random visits to see if it's still "reasonably clean"

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

  • I know someone who had the city condemn her house as unfit for human habitation(girl I went to HS with). They told her she had to have the kids stay else where & had 2 wks to clean up the house. So she took them to her mom's house (dirty there too but not as bad as hers!) She had dog poo, kids had wet the bed & it smelled, trash, dishes, just general YUCK, GROSS living conditions. The school actually called because the kids were not attending school like they should so the truant officer went by & saw how gross the house was. Codes enforcement came though not DFS so she never got her kids taken away or anything.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.