How can i get my cat to stay off the counters?

giraffegrl1980

Asked by giraffegrl1980 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Pets

• Get a cheap spray bottle and fill it with water. Every time your cat jumps up, spray him. It will only take a few times.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:53 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• put double sided tape on the counters for a while, they hate that and will stay off.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 2:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• They do out grow this, well my cat did. Somewhere around 6 he stopped jumping on them. I couldn't get him to stop sooner.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:53 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• a can with dried beans it it. A pringles can works well. When you see her jump up,give it a shake and scare her! She'll associate the noise with the jumping up and avoid it. A squirt bottle works well too if she doesn't like getting wet.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• haha... mine did great for the first 6 years til our son came, then I think lack of attention crept in and now they only get caught when we hear or see them... and if I come home early lol... they are 9-1/2 and my son is 3..lol!! water bottle worked the best I guess
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:04 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Good question - mine is 15 years old and he still does. However, the younger ones were deterred by mousetraps under newspaper - scares them bad enough they don't do it again.....LOL, except for the 15 year old !!!
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 8:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• One of ours is 14 and still does it~~the other two are too fat and wouldn't make it
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 10:54 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I use the spray bottle full of water too.
    Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 2:24 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Stock up on water bottles, give kitty a nice surprise everything she is naughty.
    iluv2meow

Answer by iluv2meow at 2:06 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Put a lot of empty aluminum pie plates on the counter. Basically cover it with the plates. Because they're so light weight they fall off of the counter which startles the cate and they usually jump down too. Also you could put blown up balloons all over the counters. Just the cat jumping up with disrupt the baloons which usually scares most cats. Good luck!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 3:01 PM on Oct. 23, 2010