Any tips on cloth diapering????

Anything that you tried, bought , worked for you, made life easier, etc would be much appreciated...

In the pre-pregnancy planning stage of TTC and know that I want to use cloth diapers... Thanks!

BriHan06

Asked by BriHan06 at 2:50 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Buy from a WAHM! Use diapers with fleece inners so the poo (even newborn runny seedy breastmilk poo) will flip right out into the toilet. Make your own detergent or use detergent made for cloth diapers. Don't use diaper creams. Invest in a nice wool or fleece cover for night and DO NOT put pants on over it. I have some great information on my website www.kimskloth.com and also take custom orders there. You will not find custom diapers cheaper than me! Good luck!

-crunchy-mama-

Answer by -crunchy-mama- at 3:04 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Join us at Cuties with Cloth Booties here on CM! It's a super fun and very active group, we'd love to have you. :)
    iloveconan

Answer by iloveconan at 9:37 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Might want to try a starter set from Jillian's Drawers or another WAHM site. They contain a variety of items, and anything you don't like can be returned for some of your money back. Even after it's used.

Mostly remember there will be people who have negative opinions about your using cloth, whether from their own bad experience, their own misinformation, or their own guilt in not trying them, but if you know you're doing the best thing you can for your family (and it IS totally doable!!!) then don't let them get you down.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 12:46 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• have a lot of them and wash often
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 2:54 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I just started cloth diapering 3 months ago when my son was 2 months, I tried many kinds before we found something we liked that worked for our family. The AIO take longer to dry and are harder to get clean. We went Bumgenius 4.0 pocket diapers with snap closures. Dont go with diapers with velcro closures,the velcro doesnt hold up and you always have to make sure its closed before wasing. Go with a OneSize diaper so you wont ever need to change sizes and buy new.Pocket diapers are nice because you can stuff with as many inserts as you need. I use 1 during the day changing every 3 hours, and 2 if we have to go 4-5 hours.The inserts come so much cleaner in the wash because they arent hooked into the diaper like the AIO's. You cant use just any detergent or you will get buildup on the diapers and they leak. Go to www.jilliansdrawers.com you can try any diaper for a month and return it if you dont like it!
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 6:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• continued:
    I dont like the diapers that dont have a layer of fleece in between the babys skin and the insert. The pocket diapers have the soft fleece layer which keeps the babys skin dry. I dont want a wet insert against my babys skin, those tend to cause diaper rashes.
    Jillians drawers has lots of info on their website about detergents and washing instructions. I use Country Save detergent or RockinGreen-I order them both online. To wash my diapers I run a cold water rinse cycle, hot water wash with 1tbs detergent, and extra rinse,always using the highest water level setting. The extra rinse gets rid of all the soap so it doesnt irritate baby skin. I have always hung my diapers to dry on a drying rack to save more money. It takes some time to figure it all out, we LOVE it!!!
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 6:02 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Join the cloth diaper groups on here, you'll get all the info and more! :D
    luvGodRonNBabie

Answer by luvGodRonNBabie at 9:15 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Yes join cuties with a cloth booties here on cm! They were wonderful help to me when I started out!. I say try several different times before settling on one form of cloth! Hope to see u in the group!
    Faye_Daisy

Answer by Faye_Daisy at 10:31 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I third the suggestion to join CWCB
    sybanshee

Answer by sybanshee at 11:36 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• All diapers are good for the baby as long as they are clean and changed promptlywhen soiled.Watch for any rashes. Consult a family Doctor if a rash accrues.

Glo402

Answer by Glo402 at 6:28 AM on Oct. 22, 2010