Vegetable Gardens...

Does anyone have one??? What's the hardest part about maintaining them? What do you grow???? I bought a house this year and want to start a veggie garden next year, but don't know anything... so when do you plant, how long does everything take., etc Help!

BriHan06

Asked by BriHan06 at 2:54 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Home & Garden

• We put in a small 4'x8' raised bed. After building the frame and filling it with the soil the only maintenance was watering it daily, spraying for pests and picking my goodies! I am getting ready to winterize it later this month. They say raised beds are better b/c u can plant them sooner. Before I started I did a lot of googling and checked out books from the library. Check out Vegetable Gardening for Dummies (http://www.dummies.com/store/product/Vegetable-Gardening-For-Dummies-2nd-Edition.productCd-0470498706.html). Decide how big ur plot/bed will be and start looking up the space required for those veggies and when to start planting. Decide if u want to start from seed or started plants from the nursery. Seeds are cheaper but IMO started plants are easier! Read the seed package on how to sow and plant or read the tag that comes with the plant if purchased at a nursery. I think it's something u learn as u go.
    ValerieRNmom

Answer by ValerieRNmom at 3:17 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Our garden area is huge we plant just about everything we can think of it takes lots of weeding all the time but so worth it. I start everything from seed except, tomatoes and peppers. We throw everything in there to compost and use straw or hay bales between the rows to help keep the weeds down.We start working the ground as soon as we know the last frost has past potatoes if you want to grow them are usually planted on good Friday. I have been gardening for about 30 years if you need to know anything I am avaiable to answer any questions you may have.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 5:19 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Mostly herbs but a few veggies. For most things I prefer to start from small plants rather than seeds, I have better luck that way. You can get either one in springtime at your local home improvement center. Make sure you plant things that will grow well in your climate. For me, basil, tomatoes, and other things that are drought-resistant are good. Add a good compost when you plant and fertilize often. Any other questions, send me a PM.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 3:19 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I garden. It all depends on where you live. What is the climate. I live in NW OH so I usually plant around the 12-15 of May or so. Peas I can put in eariler as they are a "cold weather" veggie. I would say I start harvesting some things in June,like strawberries and then most things in August and September.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:40 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I live in Indiana
    BriHan06

Comment by BriHan06 (original poster) at 4:06 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• The worst garden we ever had was on the far side of our land. We had to haul water to it in buckets because that was less work that running out a hose that long and then putting it all up again.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:17 PM on Oct. 23, 2010