Does anyone else have trouble nursing thier baby?

My doctor says to wake my newborn every two to three hours but when I try to wake her she doesnt wake up. When I do manage to wake her she fall asleep right away an doesnt really nurse. Is there any advice out there for me?

JessieW22

Asked by JessieW22 at 3:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ignore your doc. **grin** There is NO NEED to wake UNLESS you are not changing enough dipes or their is jaundice. If EITHER of those situations are in play, strip her to the dipe. Wet washcloth on the feet. Bug her till she wakes.

If dipes are fine and there's no jaundice, toss your clocks. You don't need them.

BTW... this is one of the BIGGEST issues for moms of newborns, usually because docs give such poor breastfeeding advice.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:28 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Try feeding on demand. That is what I did. I just listen to my baby's cues of when they were ready to eat.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 3:29 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Just keep attempting to nurse her until your supply is well established and you feel comfortable letting her sleep. I would still wake during the day though so you establish a good day/night pattern, though. You can also pump if she doesn't nurse well and engorgement is an issue. Just only pump enough to make yourself comfortable or engorgement will last longer.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:30 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Just let her sleep. This is why I quit nursing my oldest son. He would never wake up in the beginning. The doctor drove me crazy. I really regret that. She'll get up when she's hungry. Just relax.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I suggest letting her wake up when she's hungry. Then if she still falls asleep, which is normal as she gets warm and comfortable, then you strip her down to her diaper. This will keep her awake, because she's cold. Let her nurse, bundle her back up, and let her go back to sleep.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:00 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• As long as there are no medical issues then you just need to feed on demand. Even when my son had jaundice I was told to wake him only if he didn't wake ever 4 hours himself. If you must wake her then strip her down to the diaper and put a cool wash cloth on her belly or feet. I would nurse my son on one side and then change his diaper which woke him back up and nurse him again on the other side. Doctors have VERY little training on breastfeeding typically so I would find a lactation consultant for advice instead.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:48 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Make sure that you do not have baby swaddled during the day and/or using a pacifier. In the first few weeks these are things that can keep baby happy and sleeping and not eat enough.
    Try to spend several hours each day with baby "skin to skin" on your chest. As soon as baby starts to wiggle around a bit, offer the breast.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:37 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• let the baby sleep. there in no need to wake the baby up if the baby is hungry the baby will wake up
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:09 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• When I first brought Evan home, I was waking him because that's what they had me doing in the hospital. When we saw the pediatrician when he was a week old I told her and she said not to wake him, he'd wake up on his own if he was hungry.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:36 AM on Oct. 22, 2010