What's a good thing to feed my son in place of one breast-feeding session so I can go shopping?

DS is 13 months and still breast-feeds about 5 times a day, plus three solid meals. He hasn't had dairy, and I'm not eager to introduce it. I'm planning on going shopping with my mom next week and DH going to babysit. DS could tolerate to miss a feeding, although I'm afraid he'll be cranky. He's never had a bottle or anything, but I thought if Dad could give him a bottle (we'd introduce it ahead of time) it just might make the day go smoother.

Do you think regular soymilk (like the costco kind) would be ok? I doubt he would take formula, that stuff tastes like barf.

Please don't bash, I'm just looking for advice from moms who value breast-feeding and understand why I don't want to introduce dairy yet. Thanks!

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 3:56 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• at that age, I let them have rice milk if I was going to be away- it tastes the most like breast milk, and is the least likely to cause a reaction. It is not as though you will be gone for days, so missing a feeding will not be the end of the world either. As long as he is hydrated, he will be fine.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:59 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I agree with trying the sippy cup, especially if you already have it. And I recommend rice milk, again because he is less likely to have any allergic reaction, but soy is a fairly common allergen and you don't want dad to have to deal with an allergic reaction on his own. Put a bit in the sippy cup and try it out ahead of time to see how it goes- even better have Dad try it out instead of you since son might respond better to that. If it's you he might just want the breast instead.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:03 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• At 13 months I would not introduce a bottle. Personally I wouldn't worry about giving him anything to drink other then some water in a cup and just have DH feed him whatever it is you usually feed him. If you can, try hand expressing some milk and try giving that in a cup. As for the comfort thing my DH always found that just holding and rocking was sufficient and usually better then trying to give anything else. He may not even ask for a feeding because he knows you aren't there. My DH was the SAHP and my DD refused a bottle/cup of pumped milk around 11 months old and went the full 9 hours I was gone at work all day without asking for nursing, but as soon as I walked in that door at night she wanted to nurse and I made it a point to nurse her before I left in the morning.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• If you aren't there, he probably won't even think to be upset about it. Leave plenty of healthy snacks and he'll be entertained by the novelty of daddy playing with him. Most milk replacements are little better than juice... I wouldn't bother! Leave water or goats milk if you want to avoid dairy.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:58 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I wouldn't introduce a bottle at 13 months...it's totally different than nursing. Milk doesn't come out of a synthetic nipple the same way as it does from a real one.

How about just pumping and putting it in a sippy cup?
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:57 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• how long would you be going? how bout some fruit pieces, water, and stuff like that? at this point, from what you're saying, i'm getting that he is getting his fill from his meals. if it's just a day, he should be fine.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 3:58 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I don't even own a pump. But maybe you're right about the bottle. I do have a sippy cup, although he's not proficient with it. I'm really thinking in terms of something for comfort, I guess that's why I thought about a bottle.
    Adelicious

Comment by Adelicious (original poster) at 3:59 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Obby, I didn't think of rice milk... that's a good idea! He really does still depend more on breast than on solids. He's not so excited about solids.
    Adelicious

Comment by Adelicious (original poster) at 4:00 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I'd just be gone maybe 6 hours.
    Adelicious

Comment by Adelicious (original poster) at 4:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I wouldn't introduce a bottle at this point. I would have him give solids, take him outside to take his mind off of not having you. Take him to the park or something fun. I would give your husband a lollypop to use in case of emergency.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:03 PM on Oct. 21, 2010