Public Mom Competitions...

So a friend of mines sister that I occasionally run into is always trying to have a mom competition with me! Every time I see her she's always talking about how they only feed their DS organic food, and organic formula... and they use the best diapers, and have the coolest toys. Yadda yadda. But I feel like she follows me around saying this stuff and the truth is I DON'T CARE. I feed DD organic food too, but I don't feel that is what makes me a good mom, and listening to her go on and on about this crap bores me to tears!I feel like I am a very confident mother and this annoys the hell out of me, I really wish she would stop.

So anyway, I just got an invitation for her sons birthday party in the mail and I just can't do it. I am going to decline and send her DS a gift in the mail, because I can't take her mom competition anymore. Anyone else deal with this baloney in public? What do you do?

Namaste17

Asked by Namaste17 at 4:03 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Let her talk. She is doing it because she feels inferior. She is probably very unsure of herself. Others can see through it. Send the gift and RSVP in time so that she does not think you are coming.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:06 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Well, Sorry but I am FAR better to my son than either of you guys.... lol!! Pfft.. I'd do the same thing.. Don't play her mommy competition game.. know and trust you are doing great, Moms like that somehow need validation from others of just how great they are doing because they are insecure and if they are REAL, they are too rotten to be around anyway.. Send her DS a gift and call it a day.. and if she asks, be honest.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:06 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• If she was doing that to me, I would throw back a "What, formula? You don't nurse him..O.M.G, how could you feed him that fake crap?" Just because I know that would bug the crap out of her...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:07 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Here's how I viewed the whole mom competition when my son was little.

It's only a competition if I choose to compete.
    Othwise it's just someone jabbering and it goes in one ear and directly out the other without a second thought ever given to what they say.. LOL Yeah it's boring but hey, so is so much other crap that people choose to prattle on about most of the time.. LOL

I can understand you not wanting to attend this party, and I will not say whether you should or should not. What I will ask is this, does your child know about it and do they want to attend? My feelings wouldn't matter to me, I can put up with just about anyone's bullshit for a brief period of time.. lol.. But my son's would matter to me. KWIM...
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:08 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• tootoobusy, you are definitely right about the inferior thing, and I feel kind of bad that she actually feels that way... because the truth is that she really is a good mom! I just annoyed that she's pushing it so hard on ME. I don't want anyone to prove anything to me!
    Namaste17

Comment by Namaste17 (original poster) at 4:10 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• She is probably just excited to be a mom and wants to do everything right. Is this her first baby?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:10 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Pixie trix, our kids are babies and they don't really even know each other. If they were friends you bet your butt I'd suck it up and go to the party :)
    Namaste17

Comment by Namaste17 (original poster) at 4:11 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• YES! military spouses thend to get bored and want to competewith each other over everything...believe it or not, a girl here doesnt like me becayse she says my house is too clean and it makes her look bad! I only met the chic once, but that is just how pettyit is...lol
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 4:15 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Since we are talking babes here.

Girl do not go and subject yourself to it.. LMAO

Really. Yeah it's easy to tune BS like that out.. But it's even easier to avoid it all together when possible.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:18 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My dh's cousin and his wife are like this. He grills my dh, I don't even acknowledge them. He has grilled about juice, diapers and progress (my ds was dev delayed and later dx with autism). So that started the "well can he read" and he's been reading since the age of 2, that we are aware of. But they really tried to make it seem like my ds's problems were the way we parented. And I agree with the formula response, just to get her! lol
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 4:24 PM on Oct. 21, 2010