How to cope with the terrible two's phase

So my daughter is 30 months old and she hit the terrible two's head on. She use to be so wonderful when it came to listening. Now she ignores me so much that I almost want to get her hearing checked. She yells at me, won't listen to anything, and won't stay out of stuff she knows she's not suppose to be in to. It's really stressing me out because I have no idea how to handle her now. I feel like I've lost all control. The result is that there is a lot of yelling and time-outs. I hate yelling at her because it doesn't teach her not to yell at ME. I ask nicely, saying "please", and I tell her "thank you" if she does do something I ask her to. I'm looking into a local parenting class but I want to know some of your ideas.

Daniyelli

Asked by Daniyelli at 4:10 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Me and my DH took a love and logic course we LOVED.. however it is more directed to above 4 years old but we have started it anyway and our son is almost 3. Take control and make discipline key and consistant.. Please should not be asked when you are asking her something you want her to do, make sure you aren't barking orders at her all the time or they end up easily ignoring that. Time outs have helped with Max.. and choices to help her feel in control in area's that either way wouldn't matter to you ( L & L tool ) which shirt do you want to wear, do you want peas or beans with dinner stuff like that.. I have to take my son by the jaw ( it sounds terrible but its not done like that ) and make sure I get to his level and make sure he is SEEIng me as well as hearing me or he ignores me also. I also don't repeat over and over.. ok well I TRY not to... good luck.. be strong now as it only gets harder I hear
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:21 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• 1,2,3: Magic- discipline for children. I liked the book because it teaches you not to loose control. I dont follow it to the dot bc ita a little extreme.. but it works. When i say : "1" he knows whats coming and he behaves.lol. Sometimes we get to "3" and it time out time.. he knows.. he knows... it works..

easy read...too..
    ClaribelC

Answer by ClaribelC at 8:46 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Thanks for the tips. I'm trying to get more information on a parenting class geared towards toddlers. I just miss my sweet angel lol. By the end of the day, I really just want to lock myself in the bedroom and be alone for awhile. It seems like all I'm doing is yelling at her and I can't stand it. I know that's wrong because then she thinks it's ok to yell, but I get frustrated. I have started to try the 1,2,3 approach but then she just thinks we're counting and does it with me lol. That's because I've been practicing counting to 10 with her. She's at that age where she's testing all of her boundaries while testing me at the same time. She's even started digging in the trash can and she's never done that because we always told her it was "yucky". She colors all over everything, pushes the kitchen chair over to the counter and gets into stuff, gets into my makeup...she knows better but keeps doing it.
    Daniyelli

Comment by Daniyelli (original poster) at 11:31 PM on Oct. 21, 2010