I feel like this company is jerking my chain

so i had the manager at this one place offer me a job..i went in and filled out the app and talked with him and he told me to go ahead and put in my 2wks notice with my current job that i had and that if i didnt hear from him by today for me to call him..(he was going on vacation and said that that would give me enough time with my other job and him enough time to put me in on the schedule)...so i called today because i had not heard from him and he tells me that he has not spoken with the GM but he will see him tomorrow and they will be going over everything and he will call me then. I don't understand what he means.."he has not spoken with the GM"..it sounded pretty promising to me him telling me to put in my 2wks notice with my other job. Well i did that and my manager there got pissed and called me a cry baby for wanting to leave so my dh told me to just not go back in..cuz it sounds like i have this job. cont..

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 4:11 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• can this manager not get in any trouble for telling me to go ahead and put in my 2wks notice...if they are just jerking my chain and not wanting to hire me?
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 4:12 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I know i wouldve sucked it up and took the bullshit at my other job if i didnt think i was gonna get this
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 4:13 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• No. I would never quit a job without having a confirmation letter from another employer.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:13 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• sorry so long and thanks to any one who has any advice
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I meant, no, there is nothing you can do. I am sure hiring is done at-will.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:14 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• its a waitress job..
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 4:15 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I wouldn't have quit one job until I was officially hired and scheduled to work at another company! I really don't think you'd have any recourse if this company doesn't in fact hire you.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:15 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• maybe i'm just freaking out because its taking so long to hear from them..i don't know if i should wait..or if i should stalk them by phone every day
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 4:16 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• No there is nothing you can do, they didn't force you to quit your job so if they don't hire you, they don't hire you. Sorry, but best of luck. Sometimes people are just slow and non responsive, I'm hoping that's the case and not that he was lying to you. I would be looking for other employment in the meantime just incase but I would have never quit my job without a firm start date to begin with because sometimes things like this do happen.
    mommyslate

Answer by mommyslate at 4:21 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I've been there. Unfortunately, until you sign papers, nothing is ever 100% for sure. The only thing you can do is go in there and talk to this guy. Explain the situation and tell him that you are now jobless unless he gives you this job. If he can't give you an honest answer, turn around and walk out and find yourself another job.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:23 PM on Oct. 21, 2010