What would you think or feel in this situation?

I do daycare for a family, have for a number of years. My dh does some carpentry to supplement our family income as well as a regular job. He took on a job of scraping and painting fascia for this family. The man asked him what he wanted to be paid an hour...dh told him $25. The guy says oh that isn't enough how about $30. Of course dh is very pleased and works hard to get the job done as quickly as possible. He put in 37.5 hours. When he presents his hours in order to be paid the guy says, " The hours sure add up fast. Would you mind taking $25? We are planning a trip and it would really help out." Anyways, dh agreed to a lesser rate and said very little but I feel resentful. As I have an ongoing relationship with this couple I am going to have to work to get over this...it just bugs me why offer more than you really want to pay?

bookworm23

Asked by bookworm23 at 4:15 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• Perhaps they didn't realize how many hours he was goinut in to get the job done, It's only a difference of $200 and it is the original hourly rate quoted. So, I would let it slide, but i'd also have the rate put in writting on the contract/receipt and make sure they sign it, legally accepting and approving of the $25 an hour and the hours put in
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:18 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I think that's why they say you need to get it in writing! My ex used to be in construction too, that's the best piece of advice I can give you.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:19 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Unless he got it in writing, there isn't much you or he can do. Yeah, it sucks that they took advantage of your DH like that, but sounds like you are stuck. I wouldn't do anything for anyone else without getting a signed contract with the cost of labor outlined in it.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 4:20 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I'd probably just let it go, since they did at least go ahead and pay the original rate your husband quoted. It's not like they tried to beat him up on that and get him to take $15/hour after the job was. Let it be a learning experience for the next time you choose to do business with people you know--things like that need to be clear up front. I have a really, really difficult time doing business with people that I know from somewhere else, especially if they're kind of friends because stuff like this can get extremely uncomfortable.
    I'm glad your DH was able to earn some extra money for you guys.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:21 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• The fact is dh would have been happy with the $25. That is what he normally charges. I just feel resentful that they offer more and then change their minds. There is nothing we can do about it as it was a verbal agreement and truthfully we wouldn't anyways. It just leaves a bad taste with people I need to have a good relationship.
    bookworm23

Comment by bookworm23 (original poster) at 4:25 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I would let it go. I understand where you are coming from but he did quote him $25 to start and the guy probably didn't have any idea the number of hours it would take to do the job or because they knew him they wanted to pay him more (but after realizing what it was really going to cost only wanted to pay the 25hr). But it wasn't like he said afterward how about $15 or $20 an hour. You husband got paid what he originally was going to charge so there is nothing to be resentful of.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 4:28 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Like the judge on People's Court always says, "You need to get it in writing." And get it signed before the work even begins.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 4:35 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I would let it go. This is the type of thing that should be done by the job for a total agreed to price ahead of time. Your husband should have a good idea of how long it would take. While the homeowner probably doesn't. Unless you are in New York City or LA $25 an hour is an excellent rate.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:29 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• He made an extra $937. Be happy and hopefully the family give you some good recommendations. Let it go.

tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:31 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• We don't live in the States at all...so as to the rate being excellent that is up for debate. It is the going rate where we live which is fine it is just a disappointment. As for doing anything about it we won't.
    But telling dh he doesn't want to pay the agreed upon rate because he wants extra for his trip was a bit of a stickler.
    We are very grateful for the extra money just disappointed that he changed his mind on the rate at the last minute and the reason he gave for doing so. We can't afford to take any trip anywhere so changing the rate so he could have extra on his trip just felt off!
    bookworm23

Comment by bookworm23 (original poster) at 6:27 PM on Oct. 21, 2010