If you go to church and your spouse doesn't...

What do you do if your kids don't want to go? Do you make them go with you or let them stay with their dad??

No one in our family does the church thing, but I'm watching TV and the issue just came up... So I wonder about non tv families...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 4:20 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think if one parent does and the other doesn't, in all fairness the children "should" go once to test whether it would be something they wanted to follow.. I guess that is how we did it in my family. My dad went and my mom is atheist - we were able to choose what we wanted to believe but she wanted it to be an informed decision..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:23 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My daughter is only 3 but when my DH didn't go to church (up to 2 weeks ago) after we moved, I would ask her if she wanted to go. If she didn't she got to stay home. Now she loves to go (she's settled more now). BUT, if DH still didn't go I would allow her to make the choice and if she didn't want to then I'd let her stay home.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 4:25 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• When my DH doesn't come to church it's because he's sleeping in so he would be bothered with the kids staying with him. That means the kids would have to come with me. But they want to go anyway so it's never an issue. I guess if they didn't want to go my DH would have to watch them.
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 5:18 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I think whatever works for the family. When my hubby would go and I didn't, he would take our son if I was sick or leave him with me if I just didn't want to go. When he got older, he had the choice of going with his dad or not.

Are you watching That 70s Show where Kitty has to work and tells the kids to go but because Red doesn't, they don't and then Kitty has the dream about all of them not getting into Heaven. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 5:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My husband encourages them to go, I make them go. It works great! lol
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:12 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Nope, wasn't watching That 70's Show... lol! I was watching Modern Family. Jay announced he wasn't going to church any more - then an earthquake happened and Gloria was trying to convince him (and Mannie) that the earthquake was Gods way of saying he was pissed... But they wanted to Golf... It was amusing!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 6:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• i would make my kids go. i'm setting the example and if father isn't doing someone should. it is my responsibility to raise and teach them of christ and make sure that they grow a testimony. so off to church we go. i would also be to upset to give my husband sex since he didn't care enough to set the example for our children. humm i wonder if he would start going?
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 7:16 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My father was a devout Catholic and my mother a nondenom christian so the deal was it didn't matter which church I went to as long as I went to church. I didn't even have to go to either of theirs either since my mom eventually started going to a church I really didn't like (later turned out to be a cult.) They let me borrow the car when I still just had my permit so that I could go to the one I wanted.

I just realized I actually did go . Hmm why didn't I take advantage of that?
    lizardgirl

Answer by lizardgirl at 10:37 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• "As for me and my house we WILL serve the LORD" :) I know it gets hard from time to time. Even I honestly struggle on occassion when I feel lazy. From time to time my kids give me a hard time about prefering to stay home. They grew up in the church so they do have some friends though they maybe kids that are struggles as all kids I trust in what His Word declares "His Word will NOT return void".
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 1:23 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I wouldn't personally force it on my kids, that will just make them resist and rebel against it all the more ---- personal experience speaking ;-)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:08 AM on Oct. 22, 2010