Are kids allowed to visit someone in the hospital?

My daughter's great grandpa is in the hospital in another state. We are going there to visit him (he was supposed to be in the nursing home) soon. Will be 6 year old be allowed in? He is pretty sick and I wonder if he will even make it. I think she would like to see him again. He won't be able to see her - he is temporarily blind and has a bad chest cold.

.science.mom.

Asked by .science.mom. at 4:22 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• This past year my father-in-law had pst away. Before he did though, He had to go through some surgeries and the night before he had open heart surgery I had took my son in to see him- I took pictures of him with him. I wanted to make sure that if anything happened to grandpa, that my son at least got to see him one more time and he was able to tell him that he loved him. Although a little time later- One of the nurses came in and said that any kids under 17 wasn't suppose to be in there. But, I truely feel as though I made the right choice for my son. You as the parent needs to do what's right for your son/grandparent's- relationship. Even after that night , and the many nights after the surgery there was not a night that my son didn't ask about his grandpa or if he was allowed to see him. This was my son's first close death in the family. I truely believe that him seeing him in the hospital helped him through the death.
    Irontontiger

Answer by Irontontiger at 4:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My kids, the youngest who was 5 at the time, were able to visit with my grandfather last year while he was very sick in the hospital. He had multiple strokes and was in very bad shape. I suppose a quick call or visit to the hospital website may set your mind more at ease though.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 4:25 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• You have to call the hospital and find out their policy. I think most will allow, but it may depend on the condition of the patient.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 4:25 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I would call the facility.. I know I was allowed at an early age.. GOOD LUCK
    MAKEMYDAY101

Answer by MAKEMYDAY101 at 4:25 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Depends on the hospital and the patients condition. If he truly is not going to make it they usually make exceptions and let the children in to say goodbye.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:36 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• We are making the trip anyway, even if we have to take turns with the kids in the waiting room. Thanks for the input though. I actually feel better knowing it is possible!
    .science.mom.

Comment by .science.mom. (original poster) at 4:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Call and see. More and more hospitals are allowing young children in. They cannot have any cold, cough, etc. My one granddaughter's other grandmother was very sick and she was allowed to visit. We had to put gowns and gloves and boots on and wash down with sanitizer before and after. But it was worth the opportunity for her to visit.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Definitely call and see. Most let the kids in unless its an ICU situation. Then sometimes they can't visit because of the other patients.
    luv2mum

Answer by luv2mum at 4:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• The only age limit I've ever come across personally was in the NICU when my second was born -- they wouldn't allow kids under 3 years. I would imagine patients with very fragile immune systems would be limited as to visitors, but you'll have to call the particular hospital to find out for sure. I would also ask to speak with a nurse who actually attends to him to see if there are any special concerns they might have the the hospital in general won't.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:27 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• generally the age is 12 and older. 1. because of the germs hospitals carry. 2. cause the the emotional trauma some children suffer from seeing illness. 3. if you were inthe hospital, would you like it if screaming crying tempertantrum kids all over the place. it is a place to heal. my advice is to use your camera phone or video recorder, recording them saying hello and i love you without the germs, and if they get scared you can turn the tv off, if you were there it could make a simple matter worse.
    dancingmoon84

Answer by dancingmoon84 at 4:33 PM on Oct. 21, 2010