At what age are MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS REQUIRED TO HELP A FETUS?

HOW MANY WEEKS? I am 21 weeks and feeling uterine pains... I am concerned.. but not sure if it will even be worth going to the Doctors?

I know of one lady who went a week too early and they wouldn't save her baby.. Had she held out a few more days.. She would still have a baby.. So that is what is weighing on my mind!?

MAKEMYDAY101

Asked by MAKEMYDAY101 at 4:23 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• "Help" in what sense?

At 21 weeks, depending on what the issue is (if it is an issue with the fetusitself) a doctor may or may not be able to help (depending on what the issue is) .. 21 weeks is just reaching the stage if viability.

My rule of thumb during my pregnancy was this: If concerned I went to the doctor to be checked out.. I believe in erring on the side of caution in the majority if situations, especially in regards to my health (and my child's health in terms of pregnancy).

If worried. Go see your doctor. :-)

If nothing else, if not for peace of mind :-)
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:28 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Just because they are approximately the age of viability (with EXTREME measures taken to preserve life), does not mean that it is in the best long term interest of the child. Nor does it mean that they can save it.
    If you were experiencing preterm labor, they would make every attempt to stop it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:29 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Depends on the state I believe, but my sister was told 26 weeks and she had hers at 24.5 weeks. They typically try to stop the labor if you are having preterm labor so going to the doc/hospital would be a good thing this early. It also does not guarantee that the baby will survive. My sister also had a 28 weeker who only lived a month and was in NICU and went through several surgeries during that time. My sister wishes they would have just let that one die in her arms peacefully too some days.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:35 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• You can go to L&D at 20wks but at my hospital the viability starts at 24wks. If you are having contractions then they can stop it now. So call your ob or call L&D and tell them about your symptoms.
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 4:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• At my hospital a viable fetus was 26 weeks. I would go to your doctor if your concerned. I lost my DS at 23 weeks I was praying to make it to that 26 week mark :(
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 4:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• if you think it is something that is going to be serious to you than i would suggest you go see a doctor just to make sure
    Nikki_Mommy_22

Answer by Nikki_Mommy_22 at 4:56 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Some NICU's are capable of caring for a 24 week old premie. 24 weeks is the extreme edge of viability. Before that, the chances of survival are really really low.

If you are experiencing cramping and pre-labor like symptoms get to the ER now so they can try and stop your labor.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 5:18 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I am experiancing cramping and spasams of pain.. I plan to lay down tonight and try to rest... IF THESE PAINS ARE STILL HERE TOMORROW AM.. I AM GOING TO THE ER.. Thanks all for the answers.
    MAKEMYDAY101

Comment by MAKEMYDAY101 (original poster) at 7:39 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Obby may have been "harsh", but she is correct. They do everything they can, but before 26 weeks it is not always possible to save the baby. Even if they do you have to consider the long term effects. It's not that they "wouldn't" save her baby it's that they couldn't. If you are contracting they will try to stop labor. If they can't you pray for a miracle. Medical science can only do so much for a baby that's not fully developed.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:41 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Wow Obby, that was harsh.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 4:33 PM on Oct. 21, 2010