People Who Have "Traditional" Beliefs...

I was thinking about this today. Many people claim to have traditional beliefs, which is usually conservative in some way or another. One thing I don't hear though, is that women should be staying home, raising their kids and tending to the home, etc. This is also a traditional value. Instead, I hear "everyone should be working". I know the economy is bad, but there are ways to work it out and stay home. What is your opinion? (This question is for the "Traditionalists")

I put it in this section because it is a BELIEF.

NightPhoenix

Asked by NightPhoenix at 4:27 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I use to believe that women should be able to do it all. I think I did. Three kids, finished college, took care of home, husband left us, managed our rental property, worked three part time jobs until I got a full time job teaching. I am exhausted just thinking about it. I had to do it and I did it.
    Now I have my granddaughter and it literally takes 8-9 hours a day.
    I do not know how working mothers do it.

Youth is a blessing.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:34 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Sometimes staying at home is just not an financial option. It's just how it is and some moms just HAVE to work to make sure their kids have what they need.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 4:38 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I think that being a SAHM is a privileged. Not many people can afford to live on one income. We have done our best so that I can stay home and raise our children. My husband works full time and I work part time. We have decided that we don't want to send our children to daycare and we work hard to make sure one of us is at home with the kids.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 5:00 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I'm a SAHM who can't afford to go back to work even if I wanted to.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 5:29 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I think it is ideal for you to stay at home (if you want too). No one can really push the issue on a women even if they do believe it. I am a stay at home mom right now and love it but because of the economy many families just cannot do it. Why argue about a belief like that and the economy is so bad?
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 6:10 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I do have "traditional" beliefs, I think. I don't know if moms should stay home or not. I worked and took the kids to daycare (and after school care) until my oldest was 7. I thought that was how it was supposed to be done. But then I finally realized I didn't make enough money to pay for daycare (and extra gas, diapers, etc.) so I had to quit and stay home. I am incredibly thankful I am staying home now, because I have grown so much closer to my children. If I were still working, I'd think my kids would be strangers to me. But now our house is falling into disrepair, and I think it's time for me to go back to work. Am I supposed to go back to work? Am I supposed to stay home? Logically thinking, it is better if one parent stays at home full time. But sometimes it doesn't work out. =(
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 6:44 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• in our religion we are asked to stay in the home if we can but requires us to get an education in case one day your husband leaves you or is killed and your left with lots of little ones since mormons do have lots of kids. i'm very traditional and i do stay at home but i was never this lucky before to do it. i was married before, divorced and worked for 12 yrs to support my 3 kids until i got remarried. i think it's important that a mother or someone be home to take care of the kids and home. like someone else said going back to work would cost me money in child care so i opt to stay home. which i would rather be doing anyway.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 7:13 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• DF & I believe in the "traditional" roles of man & woman. He works full time outside the home, I tend to the home & my DD & him full time. They are my only concern. However our views have little to do with our "religious" beliefs or rather, lack thereof
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 1:01 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• As a Muslim I believe it is my duty to first take care of my children and home and if I can do all of that and work then this is ok. However as soon as work interferes with those responsibilities then I believe it is not ok to work. Religiously it is my husbands job to support our family and I do not have to work. I do not have to pay anything or contribute to the bills at all. Even if I have a job the money I make at it is mine (not his). I do not have to use it in support of my family or anything else I can do with it as I wish. However using it to help support my family is better for me. I agree there are circumstances that make it so both parents must work and I think it's unreasonable to put a burden of working 3 jobs on 1 person. As a person with "traditional" beliefs I also believe that my husband should not become overly burdened. I would look at how we could cut back before making him work more.
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 7:27 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I don't think I have particularly 'traditional' beliefs, yet I'm a SAHM. We made a lot of financial sacrifices for me to do so, but both dh and I felt that it was best if one of us was home full time. Now that the kids are getting older and will be in school full time, I'm back in college part time to upgrade my skills and hopefully gain a job with more flexibility that will still allow me to be home when the kids get home from school. Our reasons were not religously/traditionally based at all... I like being with the kids and the time that they will actually want to hang out with me is relatively short! With three kids, daycare costs would be sufficient to effectively cancel out any salary I was making as a social worker. And I love being able to take the kids to the cottage in the summer... the three sibs are very close and I think all the time spent together has something to do with that.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:27 AM on Oct. 22, 2010