appetizers on a low budget?

My son's b-day party is on sunday at 2:30. I was not planning on making lunch for everyone, but was going to do some appetizers. Anyone know of some good healthy appetizers that are cheap and easy as well? I'm on wic, so I was thinking that one of the things I could make was cheese and with crackers. I also have a persimmon tree, so I was going to cut some persimmons and some other kids of fruit, maybe apples? any other suggestions?

Precious333

Asked by Precious333 at 4:32 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Apples and a yogurt dip, gold fish crackers (always a hit), cheese and crackers is an excellent idea. Carrot stix and celery and ranch. If you buy the bulk carrots and celery(not pre-cut or baby) and cut it yourself it is WAY cheaper!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:34 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My kids love grapes, and all you have to do is wash them.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:37 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• You could do a fruit tray with a healthy fruit dip, kids normally love dipping their foods. For the fruits your persimmons would be good, apples, pears, peaches, and you could cut up orange wedges. For the fruit dip, you can either go a little unhealthy and combine a 8 oz package of 1/3 less fat cream cheese with a jar of marshmallow creme (tastes like cheesecake almost), or you can go for a healthier version by combining 2 cups of Greek yogurt with 1 tsp honey, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp cinnamon and 1/3 cup of powdered sugar. Just mix it well. (And for future reference you can add about 12 fresh mint leaves chopped to the dip make it minty too).
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:39 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Pigs 'n blankets, mini burritos, peanut butter sandwiches cut in shapes.

here's my mini burrito recipe:

1 large can of refried beans
    1 can of hash (either corned or roast beef)
    1 4 oz can of chopped green chilis
    shredded cheddar cheese
    1 dz. burrito size tortillas (usually I have extra filling so I buy 2 dz.)

Heat hash, refried beans and green chilis in a skillet, mixing until well blended (You may need to put a little oil in the pan). Spread tortilla with a thin layer of bean mixtures. sprinkle with a little cheese, and roll tortilla up. Cut into 3-4 appetizer size pieces (burrito shouldn't be too fat or filling will ooze out) Wrap each appetizer in a small piece of foil. Refrigerate until ready to use or bake immediately.

Prehea oven to 350 degrees. tArrange burritos on a baking sheet in a single layer, bake 20-30 min, or until hot. Serve with salsa and guacamole to dip.

These are really cheap, a
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:02 PM on Oct. 21, 2010