Children Reading

OK, my kindergartner is supposed to read a book each night for part of her homework. She has been reading simple books for 9 months now, so no biggie. Now that it is homework she fights every time she gets to a word she has to sound out. She can do it just fine, but she has a small fit with every new word, even when I help her.

Any suggestions, this is getting to be a long year.

DevilInPigtails

Asked by DevilInPigtails at 4:39 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daughter's class has a special name for those harder words. It's a "clunk". Sounds funny to me... but that's what they call it. So my daughter will tell me to let her read and she will tell me if a word is a clunk and THEN I am allowed to help her with it. Otherwise she will try to sound out that clunk.

Maybe giving it a funny name will make the clunk less stressful.
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 4:22 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• There's nothing wrong with telling her what those tricky words are and not making her sound them out. She has until the end of third grade to master reading before you need to worry.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:00 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Do not push. Let her try and fail. She is feeling stressed because now it is required. I think it is wonderful that as a kindergarten she is doing this well. It is super. Let her know how proud you are and that what she is doing is more than most kindergarteners. She is super. It is the schools job to teach them to read. It is your job to support her and the school. You are both doing great. Do not stress.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:41 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Thanks. I do try to make it relaxed and compliment her often, but the compliments seem to make her mad. I have even tried rewarding her for reading without these fits. Today she was doing good until her Dad came in and asked if she was done yet. It was down hill from there. It is just frustrating, she enjoys reading and I want her to continue to enjoy it.
    DevilInPigtails

Comment by DevilInPigtails (original poster) at 7:57 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Kindergarten is kinda of young and not all kids are ready at that age to read books. I would not push it. Try and find other ways to do reading that may be fun for her. You can try www.clicknread.com my kids use it and love it. Keep reading to her though, that is the best thing you can do for her. We also use Phonics Pathways.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 9:21 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I agree with Pnukey; there's nothing wrong with telling her what the hard words are if she's having trouble sounding them out.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:27 AM on Oct. 22, 2010