S/O of Disney question

I've seen this many times where people called Disney racist. How are they racist? I never seen it. I honestly just want to know how they are racist and some examples.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 4:47 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Entertainment

• People are ridiculous these days.. Disney is not freakin' racist.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 4:50 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Well the Jungle Book is based on a book written by someone else and Disney simply adapted it so that is ridiculous. Walt himself may have been racist (I have no idea), but it certainly does not show in the movies that are truly Disney's own work. The older movies may seem to be, but they are based on what was happening at the time and now the movies are based on what is happening and acceptable now.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:56 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• i would like to know that too? Aladdin was Egyptian, Tiana is black, Mulan is Chinese. How are they racist?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:53 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• AmaliaD - so because an article says it, it makes it so? Mmmmk
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 4:57 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Never heard of this. It is a small world afterall.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:55 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• amalia, i watched jungle book as a kid, i own it now and my kids and i watch it all the time. please point out the racism in that movie?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:55 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• not sure if it's merrie melodies, looney tunes or disney, but a lot of the really old cartoons were racist...the blacks were baboons with huge lips....etc. I did read somewhere Walt Disney was anti-sematic, but i cant back that up
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:55 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• AmaliaD also posted this in regards to Thailand ripping off Beauty & the Beast. I copied & pasted it.

are you aware that most cultures have their own cinderella stories? doesnt make one a rip off and another the real thing. i havent seen that movie. but i wouldnt doubt that the french fairy tale migrated hundreds of years ago to thailand. and if they are really ripping off disney = that is cool! disney is racist and i dont value that company.

Answer by AmaliaD
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 4:55 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Oooooh so because in there it says "walk like you talk like you", that makes it racist?! WOW! The Bangles sang a song in the 80s called Walk like an Egyptian. Are they racist? You are grasping!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 5:00 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Walk like you and talk like you was sung by an orangutan. Not a human. Good grief, it's not hard tell the difference!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:07 PM on Oct. 21, 2010