Does your ADHD child complain of blackouts?

My son is 11 (6th grade) and was diagnosed with ADHD 3 years ago. He recently started to complain about "blacking out". He said it has been going on since 4th grade, but he never said anything about it before. Some of the circumstances are while taking a test or while listening to the teacher. I can understand that these may just be daydreaming. However, last week, he kneed a boy in the head. When I asked him about it, he said he doesn't know, he just blacked out and doesn't know why he did it.

Do any other moms have kids with similar complaints?

funat50

Asked by funat50 at 4:57 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• No, My 10 year old teen daughter has it. Never has she complained of blackouts.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 5:06 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My middle son did in the 2nd & 3rd grade. He was diagnosed ADHD, but I don't think that was the right diagnosis. He was never on medication. He would have a fight, on the playground and not remember it, or know what led up to it. We took him out of school and homeschooled him, and I don't know if we were just lucky or what happened, but when we put him back in school in middle school, he never had the problem again. He's 21 now.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:08 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• he may possibly have seizure disorder.....get him checked out by a neurologist......
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 5:14 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Is he on meds? If so, it could be the medication. A friend's child had issues like that when he was on a certain med, but I think it resloved when he switched doses. My dd isn't on meds, but she does sometimes tell me she doesn't remember things. Though I think that is more that she doesn't want to tell me, thinking she'll get in trouble for something.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 5:15 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• i have blackouts or as the shrinks term it "loose time" but it is a mental condition completely unrelated to my adhd. Take him to a doc.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 5:24 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My son never mentioned experiencing blackouts but I would find him staring into outer space, totally oblivious at times to what was going on around him. Took him to a neurologist to rule out any kind of seizure disorder; I would recommend you doing the same. Good luck.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 6:44 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• NO!! Take him to the doctor to find out why he is blacking out. I have NEVER heard of any child on ADHD meds blacking out.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:19 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I would definitely have him checked out by a neurologist.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:20 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• talk t a doc but it could also be the famous blame. i have seen with many adhd kids they learn that some behaviors are forgiven if they have not had their meds and start using it to get out of trouble. pay close attention and see if maybe he has just figured out how to do what he wants without beingresposible
    mommydown

Answer by mommydown at 1:19 AM on Nov. 29, 2010