Sitting on the bench at the park..?

Do you think it is wise, or even safe, for a mom to sit on a bench most of the time her toddler or preschooler is playing on playground equipment [at a public park] that is high enough to accommodate children up to 12-13 years old?

art.diva

Asked by art.diva at 5:15 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I don't think so. When my kids and I go, if my little ones decide to play on the big stuff I stay right there with them. I had a boy almost knock my 2 year old off of one because the boy was too busy running to notice my child. So I stay pretty close.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 5:18 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• It depends on how close the bench is and who else is playing at the time and the age of the child. I like to stay close by.
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 5:23 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Well the benches at the playground we go to are a bit uncomfortable. Maybe that's to discourage parents from sitting down for too long, LOL. But they are pretty close too. I usually do follow my son around, but sometimes I will sit down for a few. DH and I usually take him together however, so we can alternate between who follows him.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:28 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• No, I don't think it's safe. I'm always near my kids when they're on a big playground.
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 5:33 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Depends on the ability of the child.  My youngest is 4 and I don't even go to the park with her any more.  She goes with her older siblings so I have no idea what she is doing there.  Since she was 2 1/2 I only followed her around to take pictures and sometimes would leave her to play to snap pictures of my other kids.  And her favorite playground was designed for kids 5+ and she was pretty adept at navigating it although usually her older brother (7 at the time) would help her when she got stuck and made sure she wouldn't get hurt on the higher structures because I wasn't climbing up there.  I'm not a kid any more.

When we do take the kids to a park (usually a cool one far from our house) we just sit on the bench and chat with each other while the kids play.  That's after I've taken an adequate number of photos.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:42 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• It depends on the child and the type of equipment. Our playgrounds are all those big one piece plastic things with slides and steps and tunnels... I don't see an issue with a parent sitting and watching their kid on those. The old fashioned jungle-gyms or swings would be different, those are dangerous for 12 year olds...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:53 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Usually I am the only mom at the park who is actually playing with their kid. My son is only 21 months and he needs lots of help on most of the equipment. I guess I could sit there and watch him play in the dirt, but it's more fun to climb with him and run around and go down the slides together, lol.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 9:05 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I DONT THHINK SO.
    lOViNMOM2211

Answer by lOViNMOM2211 at 10:33 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Depends on the kid, the playground and what other kids are there. Sometimes I'm more comfortable giving my kids more freedom, sometimes I'm not.
    JMmama

Answer by JMmama at 10:50 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Not safe at all. I would be out there playing with my little one personally.
    Mama2BabyTaurus

Answer by Mama2BabyTaurus at 10:55 PM on Oct. 21, 2010