Can pregnant women be surgical assistants and xrays techs?

Any doctors or nurses on here that can help me out? I recently discovered that I am pregnant and am concerned about whether or not I can continue working in my current field. I am a surgical assistant and xray technician in a very small animal clinic. We do surgeries 2 or 3 times a week for about 5 or 6 hours. I run the dental xray equipment and the regular xray equipment as well but we again only do xrays 2 or 3 days a week and thats IF we have any to do. My office doesn't have any lead shielded booths or walls so I can only rely on lead aprons. Also I am concerned that running the gas anesthetic (which is Isoflurane) during the surgeries could cause harm. And then there's the issue of dealing with taking care of the sick cats... Can anyone help by letting me know if any of this can be done safely? Whether or not I should even be in the building when they do xrays? Dental or otherwise? Should I stay away from the anesthesia?

emilyrose722

Asked by emilyrose722 at 5:19 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I wouldn't think it is safe. I am not sure though if you can work there or not.
    wenona_mandy

Answer by wenona_mandy at 5:32 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• When I worked at a vets office-any time one of the girls got pregnant she worked the front desk or did the appts. It is not safe to be doing x-rays and the iso is not good if your breath it either. Tell your boss now and hopefully you can do other things until you deliver.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 5:54 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Thanks guys...I keep hearing mixed messages from all the articles I look up, some say yes, some say no. I'm trying to hurry up and get an appointment with my doctor and just not do any of the xrays.
    emilyrose722

Comment by emilyrose722 (original poster) at 5:56 PM on Oct. 22, 2010