How do I get my 14 year old daughter to want to stay home more?

She would rather be at her best friend's house than home. I think it is because her friend is an only child and it is quieter at her house. I also have a 3 year old son who is an aggravation to my daughter. When she is home she stays in her room most of the time with the door shut to have some peace and quiet. Both my daughter and her friend are really good kids, they are excelling in school and have never been a problem. I let her go there a lot just because I feel her pain. My son drives me nuts too at times and if I could get away I would. I can't get rid of my 3 year old son...so what do I do??? I could make her stay home but she would just isolate her self in her room so what's the point?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Can you find fun things that all of you can do? or can you have someone watch your 3 yr old at least 1-2 times a week so that you and your daughter can do something together. At her age, you need to spend more time with her. Good luck :)
    MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 8:38 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Most of this is just normal teenage girl stuff and nothing to do with you or your three year old. My 14 year daughter is the same way. In my case, my daughter is an only child and perfers the hustle and bustle of her friend's homes who have siblings. The grass is always greener.

What about getting a sitter once in a while and just doing something with the two of you like get your nails done, etc..
    pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 9:23 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I think that if you trust her friends parents and nothing bad is happening then I would let it be. I know that it is hard, you just want to make sure she is safe. I would talk to her and let he know that you are there for her and that if she ever needs anything she can come to you.

I would also find out why she likes spending so much time over there. I know that my oldest and his best friend go back and forth between our to houses, It just the way they are.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:30 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Invite her friend for dinner more. I think this is something that you are going to have to get used to, and be thankful that your daughter has good influences (as far as friends. When your 3 year old matures more, you daughter will probably spend more time at home as well.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 10:38 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I can understand what you are going throw. I have a 16yr and 8 yr boy the girl never wants to stay home allways has to talking to them in her room or with them. It get to me to sometime but like you say she is a good kid. I just need to tell my girl and I didn't think about this tell I read you ? That if see made some time every day like 15 to 20 min with her Brother he would not bother her as much. I think my boy likes to spend time with her and the only time he has is when she is in her room. So by taking 15 to 20 min a day to play or talk with him I think he would not muss with her. Thanks I think you helped me out.
    cloverlady2008

Answer by cloverlady2008 at 3:02 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Get something in your home to make her want to invite her friends over more like a pool table or air hockey, etc. I don't know why your son acts the way he does. I am sure it is normal but maybe he would not demand so much attention if he wasn't the only one getting any. That is if this is the case. I am not a therapist, just a mom who has raised 7 kids (four were step kids). We purposely bought our house so that our kids would want to bring kids home rather than going to their house. You can keep an eye on them better that way. We had a pool, pingpong, fooseball, air hockey and pinball machine. I don't know if you can afford so much but anything would help. We had kids at our house all the time. I also think it would be a good idea to schedule some time with your daughter one-on-one.
    Goodthings

Answer by Goodthings at 11:49 PM on Nov. 17, 2008