DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEA AS TO HOW TO GET YOUR 14 MONTH OLD BABY ON A SLEEP ROUTINE?

proudmama2be88

Asked by proudmama2be88 at 5:53 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Honestly, consistency is the only thing.... Same routine, every day. Same times, same sequence. She may not cooperate right away, but eventually, she'll get it.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:55 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• THANKS
    proudmama2be88

Comment by proudmama2be88 (original poster) at 5:59 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Put your baby to bed at the same time every night, wake them same time in the morning. Same w/ nap time, try and do it at the same time everyday. Should work. we went thru the same thing w/ my daughter, she wanted to be up all night and sleep til 9 am everyday. ughhh! We finally got her on schedule and now she will sleep 12 hours or more at night, and takes a great nap! I don't know if it was getting her on the schedule or if she just outgrew the situation! but I can't complain now. lol Good luck!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 5:59 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• The key is be strict on the schedule..and the baby will become accustomed to it. Have a very consistent routine at night..for example..dinner, playtime, bath, and bed. set times for those according to your home routine..and stick with it..dont get off the schedule no matter what. the baby will then get used to it and know "whats next"..of course he/she may resist, but it will work. Consistency is the key.
    hw1977

Answer by hw1977 at 6:03 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• thanks guys
    proudmama2be88

Comment by proudmama2be88 (original poster) at 6:18 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Lots of babies are doing one nap by the time they are 14 months. And it's most likely right after lunch. But whether it is one nap or two, we always found it worked best for us to get into a sleep time routine that was always the same. Bath (at night), reading a few books, lights out, drapes pulled, soft music on, cuddling/rocking/swaying. Similar at naptimes. When the baby got drowsy he was laid down. (By the time they are 12 months they did not need to get drowsy. They knew it was nap time.) If done in the same manner, all the time, the baby picks up on the cues and knows it's time for sleeping. The lady I do childcare for has also asked me to follow a set routine with her baby. If the baby cries at all it isn't for long. And I don't mean screaming his lungs out, but minor fussing. Our kids were good sleepers and happy. Both my kids at 14 months and the one I take care of sleep 7 PM to 7AM and basically nap 12-2. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:53 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• thankyou
    proudmama2be88

Comment by proudmama2be88 (original poster) at 8:59 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I have neverhad an issue with 4 kids! You hav to put them in bed at a certin time everynight, and close the door and walk away, they can cry and scream up to 15 minutes befor you need to check on them, and thenleave, and do it again, twi take about 3 days to get it down

www.ferburmethod.com
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:09 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• the routine is great but not every household can do a routine but i think of a routine is not necessary at the same time but the same squence of events. for example, dinner, bath, playtime or tv time/computer time. something that is quiet for her to do. then she would get her bottle and go to bed. i would repeat what the events were to her. i would call it nite nite so she would know when i put her in the crib it was time to go to bed. she has a favorite blanket so maybe that would help to. i did the CIO around 14-15months and it was very difficult but now she goes in her crib with no problems on most nights. ofcourse there are times she still wants to cosleep with me. which i don't mind but general she sleeps through the night in her own crib. good luck
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 1:25 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• thanks guys
    proudmama2be88

Comment by proudmama2be88 (original poster) at 6:23 PM on Oct. 22, 2010