• In the Spotlight:

Why is it no matter what we name our kids it get shortened into a nickname?

And what was your nickname(s) growing up?

My grandmother on my moms side gives everyone a nickname (even before we are born) and all thru our lives refuses to call us by anything but the nickname she gave us I was lucky enough to end up with a not so bad 1 (wonder woman) while others ended up with names like: Uggmo, Funky woman, Muskrat, Halfa pint, Bertha butt, Ugly stick Just to name a few... I often felt bad for my cousins when we would go with grandma to the store growing up and hear her yell out " UGLY STICK WHERE YOU AT?" Lmao

405mom

Asked by 405mom at 5:58 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• I really thought about that before i named my daughter - I picked Caroline, because it is hard to make anything bad out of that! The only one her friends have given her is Care Bear. Not too bad, all things considered.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 6:00 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• i was going to be katrina, but grandmother knew kids in school mean and would call me latrine (french for toilet- i think)
    so changed to katrin (Ca-trin 'A' like cat)
    brother heard this story when little and called me latrine anyway
    lol
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• g The kids in our extended family all have nicknames too - but we made it clear that our kids would not be called anything but their names. It helped we picked really hard names to give nicknames too. The only one who has ever tried was my Dad. My dd's name is Morgan and he tried calling her 'Mo' just to piss us off. Well, my dd set him straight. She told him 'my name is Morgan.' LOL
    My youngest is Aidan and my kids started calling him Aido potato when he was a baby - and now potato has stuck as his nickname. Poor kid. But it's so darn cute!

IMO cute pet names are fine - but the 'pet names' your grandmother picked aren't so cute. I would be mad too. Does she have a nickname? I would get together with all the cousins and pick one for her. LOL'
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 6:28 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My name is Sara. Hard to shorten that! But growing up, I was "Sis" because that's what my little sister called me. It stuck, and that's what my mom calls me, still what my sister calls me, and it has even gone through to be what my nieces call me. Usually I'm "Auntie Sis" to them.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 6:29 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• my oldest has a weird nickname of beaker (like from the muppets) all cause i started calling her bubba baby when she was born and my husband flipped about it and i dont remember what i meant call her after but beaker came out. my 5yr old lacey is just lacey, maria everyone calls ria or monkey and my youngest rosalie everyone calls rosie except my step dad who insists on calling her ozzie
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 7:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I don't worry about what other people call my kids.  My name is Jennifer and I was always called "Jenny" growing up which was fine with me.  I finally shortened it to Jen when I was in college.  My nephews and my mil still call me Jenny because I was introduced to them as "Jenny".

My oldest dd's name is Meagan.  Only my dad and her BFF's family call her Meg (or Megs or Meggie when the girls were little).  My other kids are Owen, Brenna, Nora and Jack and no one shortens their names.  I do call my 4yo (Nora) Stinky.  We've called her that since she was born.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:35 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• mine was joey and my actual name is amanda. lol
    i have a ds named jaxon and i call him jax
    fun quirky things i guess
    Amanda_82

Answer by Amanda_82 at 8:48 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Skinny Minny & I hated it !!! Also Bubble butt once i hit middle school( thanks to my dad & bro) & Stick.... i am & have always been on the underweight side but i eat like a horse, so everyone teases me about it
    My_o_me_x_3

Answer by My_o_me_x_3 at 8:56 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My oldest is Alexis- it became Lexis-then lexi-then lexi Lu-then LuLu- and now she answers to Lu. lol
    My youngest is Brandon-it became nadon,then nanners,then nan bop, now its at nan nan.

My hubbys family goes by nicknames too-and some are just stupid-such as sue-see,wee-waa,sue-saw,lele,and rere...and these are all adults......
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 9:17 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I think nicknames are fine as long as they're not mean or degrading. My sisters, Susanna and Rebecca, have always been Susie and Beckie. However, my brothers, Daniel and David have never been Dan or Dave. Go figure. My name, Corinna, tended to resist shortening - If anyone dared call me Cori I told them it was a boys name and wouldn't answer to it. However, I couldn't pronounce my name very well as a child and ended up calling myself Reenie (hence my screen name). It still gets used on occasion by siblings in family functions, but only recently. My sister and brother had speech impediments as kids and R's became W's. No thanks! ;)
    For our little guy, his name is Micah, but I call him Micah Moe. My friend has a little girl named Maggie, who she calls Maggie Moo. The two of them are only a month apart and we're hoping they get married someday. Hey, we can dream.
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 12:59 AM on Oct. 22, 2010