How do you deal with an ADHD child who thinks about homework very cavalierly?

My son, with ADHD, completes his homework with 1 work answers, doesn't give explanations when asked, won't open a book to find a correct definition or look up information. He also leaves questions blank! Doesn't come to his parents for help and when told he has to re-do the assignment, has a meltdown. He is 12 years old and in 7th grade

scarlet874

Asked by scarlet874 at 6:03 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• If he answered the question so that the teacher knows he knows the answer that should be sufficient. She needs to gain dialogue with him and just talk with him about the assignment to make sure he has learned what she wants him to know. If he has an IEP, he shouldn't be held to the higher standards of other students who do not have ADHD. Children learn differently. (9 different ways) He shouldn't be penalized or sent into a meltdown bc his teacher expects him to learn and reply in a manner that isn't conducive to the way he learns. I wouldn't push him. I'd talk with the teacher, principal and guidance counselor. They should all be working with you and him in making adjustments to accommodate him. It's not that hard. I have two grandsons with ADHD. I"m a retired teacher. I homeschooled one of my grandsons. It can be less stressful if they work WITH him and not try to force him to conform to something he can't deal with.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:13 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My DS is in the 5th grade and tried to pull something similar. I laid dow the rules and he threw quite a fit at first, but eventually gave up and has gone with the program. He has to give me a written copy of his home work assignments when he gets home and then he goes in his room and does the work. When he is done he brings it all to me to be checked, if it's not up to par he has to do the entire assignment, not just the part he got wrong,but the entire thing over. This makes him want to get everything done the right way the 1st time. Now if it's just something he doesn't get I don't make him do it over, it's just the things that he tries to rush through or short answer. Be prepared for a huge fight at first, but do not give in. I had to take away everything in his room at first, except for his school books. It took a long weekend , with him yelling, crying, throwing fits, but after that he has become a great student.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 6:16 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Talking with the teacher as well as others that are involved in his education is "key".... i just moved from Indiana to Washington and back in Indiana they have really good schools and programs for children with ADHD which my 7 year old son has also..... Im very involved in his education and make sure he has all the help he can possibly get...... Every child learns differently and those children who dont have ADHD shouldnt be treated any better than ones with it..... Every child is VERY special and should be treated like they are....
    SAYLORSWIFE88

Answer by SAYLORSWIFE88 at 6:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My son just turned 10 he is in 4th grade and has tried to do the same. I did the exact same thing dmbutler mentioned. He has adhd but they are VERY smart kids. I also make him do his whole work over when he tries to slack off and yes that pretty much makes them put a little more effort to it.
    bz-mom

Answer by bz-mom at 5:41 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I just let her do it her way and if she fails she fails. At some point we have to let them be responsible for their own actions. The only time we intervene is if her teacher or the school call us to tell us that she is failing a class. Then she gets grounded and does nothing until her grade is a B again. She is capable of straight A's but we allow B's. Anything below a B and she is grounded. She knows the rules and has very rarely dropped below. I can't hold her hand forever but she will know there is a consequence to her action.

She is 12 and in 7th grade as well.
    luvsmygirls77

Answer by luvsmygirls77 at 10:09 AM on Oct. 25, 2010