Andrea Yates

Was it "Insanity" or PPD? Have any of you suffered from PPD? If you have, did you ever feel that urge to hurt your baby? Did she get off lucky? (I personally think she did and her children's deaths are not yet justified.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Oct. 29, 2008 in General Parenting

• I think she had PPD and yes i felt the urge to hurt my children and myself but I seeked help.
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 9:25 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Understanding psychotic disoders may help you see this case differently. If you review this case from beginning to end, you will see that this poor woman was clearly very ill. She is definitely suffers from a psychotic disorder and still does. Schizophrenia is a devistating chronic illness that she didn't choose.

She did not get off easy, she got life in prison and must live with the fact she killed her own children who she loved. I do think it's appropriate that she's kept confined for the rest of her life because she has the potential to be dangerous to the community due to her illness.

There is at least one book written about this case that gives all of the details.
    pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 9:33 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• The other issue if forgot to add is there is a difference between PPD (post partum depression) and PPS (post partum psychosis). Andrea Yates had post partum psychosis. Comparing PPD and PPS is like comparing lung cancer and pneumonia. They are very different.
    pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 9:35 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I viewed the case very differently until I read and saw an interview with Brooke Sheilds. She was very candid, including thoughts of driving her car into a brick wall with her child in the back seat. Normal postpartum depression is one thing. Postpartum psychosis is an altogether different animal.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:10 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Thanks for pointing out the PPS, forgot to to mention that. I think a lot of women need to research more on PPD and PPS so they can understand more about it. When I first heard what Yates did to her children I was probably one of the first to damn her to hell for what she did to her children. I don't condone what she but she was ill, truly ill! Believe me, no one chooses to have PPD or PPS. PPD was the hardest by far the worst thing I have gone through in my life and If I didn't seek help and have the support from my husband who knows what I may have done to my own precious children!

Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 11:28 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Yes, she was a very ill person. I have had the urge to hurt myself and not necessarily the urge to hurt my child, but a lot of fear about what would happen if I did. I saw crazy things in my head and it scared me. I knew it was hormonal and had it not stopped soon after birth, I would have sought help from my doctor. The husband was oblivious to her needs and I think he required more from her than she could give. That level of religious atmosphere doesn't give a lot of place to people with taboo types of issues. I think she was afraid of ruining his reputation as a minister or man of God. What a lie. Its not how God would have us deal with our issues.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:20 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Yates had more than PPD going on. I think one of the words used was post partum psychosis.

To me the real crime, or at leas the place where things could have gone differently was that her family was aware that she had these tendencies and that something wasn't right, but she kept on having kids, and she wasn't getting the treatment or the influence of a system that might have caught what was going on before it went that far.

That physicians had documented that this was recurring and highly likely to happen again, (history of hospitalizations for mental disorders) but that she continued to have additional children, really leaves you scratching your head.
    Kestrel1

Answer by Kestrel1 at 12:43 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Brooke Sheilds also wrote a book about the called Down Came the Rain...it gives a very personal look at just what is going on in the minds of women who are suffering.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:08 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Kest, i agree with you totally. right before the murders, andrea was released from the hospital after only a short stay. this was dispite her husband's protests and andrea's catotonic condition.
    i do believe they did try to bring the doctor/hospital that released her up on charges.

by the way, Brook Shield's book was about PPD, not PPS.

i really don't like when people group PPD and PPS in the same category because i sufferred from PPD and the stories people told me about people with PPS made my anxiety much worse.
    pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 3:23 PM on Oct. 29, 2008