How do I get my 4 month old to nap during the day?

She is 4 months old and will sleep 6-7 hours at night but in the last two weeks it has become impossible to put her down for a nap during the day. We have tried everything. Rocking, soft music and low light, walks outside. All things that use to work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Keely625

Asked by Keely625 at 6:41 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I just started trying to get my 5 month old on a nap schedule. I was suprised that he took to it right away. After he has a full belly around lunch I lay him down in his crib with the shades drawn and his white noise machine on. I give him a nuk and a small thin blanket that he likes to cuddle with. He usually lays there awake for 15-20 minutes singing and babbling before he falls asleep on his own. He sleeps for 1-2 hours. I have been doing this for 3 weeks and he seems so much happier with the long nap.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 6:54 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• This is what I did and it workes. I got a small umbrella stroller just for inside the house. I lined it with a super snuggly blanket and put my Son in it at naptime with a pacifier. I would close all the blinds and make it nice & dark in the kitchen. I would very slowly wheel him around in figure 8's & he would fall asleep within 10-15 minutes or less. It worked every time except for a handful when the phone rang suddenly so I would put the cordless phone in a drawer. Try it! It's like "Nap on demand"!! LOL! Let me know if it workes for you. My friend did it after I told her & it worked for her.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:02 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• The key is to do the same routine all the time. There are great ideas here, but you might want to go back to whatever worked best for you before and stick to it. She might be ready to stay up a little longer between naps. If she was staying up 2 hours before try three now, etc GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:15 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• the sleepy wrap always put my son to sleep, it was the heartbeat and rhythm of walking around i think...its got to be sooo comfy up in there!
    sarlove01

Answer by sarlove01 at 12:56 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I suggest getting a sleep book. I received Mark Weissbluth's "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" at my shower and while I don't agree with everything in the book (I don't let her 'cry it out,' it hurts my heart too much) I do agree that a very regular nap schedule is best for your little one. It's tough at first because it's hard to learn for both parents and babies, but they do have a natural sleep rhythm so you'll find it with patience and watching for tired signs. Babies love routine and it shows in everything from sleep now to singing the same songs and looking at the same books over and over again later. Best of luck!
    orangewedge

Answer by orangewedge at 8:08 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Thank you for the advice. I have always known that the stroller works great but I am in Illinois and the weather has been so windy and my dear girl gets cranky in the windy weather so I have not been able to stroll her around. The inside of my house is a little too small to get a little stroller to go around in but what a great idea. Old routines have not worked, new routines have not worked but we are getting through it. I tried her swing yesterday and it did not put her to sleep, again I had to nurse her to sleep after 2 hours of trying every method known to mankind. Regardless I tried the swing again today, I changed the position on the swing, bundled her up, put the mobile on, changed the swinging direction, turned the TV on and she was entertained until she finally went to sleep. I guess some babies are just really hard to get to sleep! She is a strong girl though. Thanks everyone!
    Keely625

Comment by Keely625 (original poster) at 9:03 AM on Oct. 22, 2010