midwives or doctors?

what is the difference between the midwife and a doctor?
what are some things midwives do that doctors dont?
im only asking because i have a midwife and im still in the early stage of my pregnancy and im starting to debate whether i want a doctor or to keep my midwife.

williams81209

Asked by williams81209 at 6:41 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• doctors do everything by the book, everything has to be standard with them.

midwives are more flexible as far as birthing plans and such.

im sure there are plenty more differences, those are the only i can come up with. i was going to say i dont think midwives can perform c-sections, but im not sure if that is true or not because i think a midwife was there during my first c-section, although she may have just been assisting.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:47 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My daughter had a midwife and so have her friends I wish I would have used them. I think it is more relaxed and your famile is more involved, which is great for support.
    chickpee

Answer by chickpee at 6:47 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Midwives are usually a lot more natural & more personal. I think midwives (depending on the individual) actually have more real experiences birthing children. They are by the woman's side the whole time & they are in no rush & they never pressure you.  I liked the personal touch of a midwife. Mine was an older lady and had birthed literally thousands of babies. She started her midwife apprenticeship when she was only 16. She had been birthing babies for 60 years. She totally rocked. If i have another, I'm definitely having her as my midwife (if she has not retired yet). She knew more than any Dr. ever could explain to me. It felt like she was part of my family & she made the whole birthing experience so wonderful. I never could have experienced what i did with a Dr.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:49 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Midwives are very qualified to help you during your pregnancy. If you have something that escalates you to a high risk pregnancy, more than likely, you'll be asked to see an OB anyway. The way my insurance works, non-high risk have a midwife deliver them, freeing up the OBs to deliver the high risks.
    Anna-Chubaby

Answer by Anna-Chubaby at 6:50 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• If I had the choice I wld pick a midwife. Most midwives spend more time with u at visits and while ur in labor. They are also more likely to obey ur wishes in delivery and offer positions or options a OB is not likely to. I think what many women fail to realize is that Obstetricians are trained surgeons and skilled at providing care for high risk patients. A normal healthy pregnancy is boring to many of them and they are more likely to find fires where no fire is burning. This is not just my opinion this is what I have been told by several OB's themselves (I precepted in L&D and am in school to be a Woman's Health Nurse Practitioner and have had many discussions on this topic). If ur care becomes complicated or a Midwife does not feel comfortable caring for u she will refer u to the OB. So I say if u like ur Midwife stay with her, otherwise find someone u do like but either way u r getting the same basic care.
    ValerieRNmom

Answer by ValerieRNmom at 6:55 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I had a doctor the first time, a midwife this time... Midwives (from my experience anyway) tend to be more "natural" in their approach than doctors. However, midwives are not allowed to perform c-sections or other medical procedures. For a high risk pregnancy, you're probably better off with a doctor. For a normal pregnancy, a midwife should be fine. In my case, the midwife does work for the hospital, and once I'm in labor, a doctor will be on site just in case.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:56 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I LOVE MY MIDWIFE. I just wanted to make sure im making the right decision. I trust her though and, im very comfortable with her.
    williams81209

Comment by williams81209 (original poster) at 6:58 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Midwives generally practice EVIDENCE based care, they spend more time with you.

Midwives cannot preform C-sections.

Midwives are perfect for all mom's with a low risk pregnancy.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 7:54 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• What kind of birth experience do you want?

Understanding that an OB is a surgeon/high-risks specialist means you're more likely to have interventions.
    With a Normal Birth Specialist (midwife), you're less likely to have complications, interventions, a surgical birth.

I can offer more, but that is in general.
    ;-)
    Depends on your preferences...

doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:58 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I messaged you some info.
    ;-)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:04 PM on Oct. 21, 2010