How can I talk to my husband about this problem with out him getting upset?

my husband and i are in a bad finacial bind and we have over 800 in bills to pay and with the income its only about 700 ... well he wants to out on halloween and said he will go with out me if i cant find a sitter... my DH is not a bad guy just going through alot.. PTSD and he works full time and goes to school full time while i stay at home on bed rest with our next one.... i just want him to understand how much we need to pay right now b4 they foreclose on the house... (internet for school reasons) any advise will help ty ladies... and please try to be nice!!

navywifemomkoch

Asked by navywifemomkoch at 9:25 AM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Money & Work

• If I understand correctly, you are coming up short with or without the night out. It doesn't sound like one night out or staying will change your financial situation in general. Can you negotiate with him? If he goes out and has a blast, he will take the time to talk with you about the finances and come up with a plan to avoid foreclosure. Sounds like he needs to destress more than you need to pay that bill - for now anyway. Start fresh to address the financial picture after the weekend.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 8:03 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• The only way to do it is to be completely honest. He'll understand. If you cant afford it then you just cant do it. These are the times we all have to make sacrifices. GL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:36 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• maybe see if he can do something with his friends for free.......or you could let him invite his friends over (he can spend 13 bucks on a case of beer) and let them do their pre-game partying at your house with him?? i dont know i was lucky my husband never wanted to go out without me hes the best :)
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 11:55 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Communication is the key to a lasting relationship. No matter how upset he gets, you both need to be able to talk about anything...especially keeping your household going. Just find a good time to talk to him...let him know you wish to discuss some important issues to please let you know when he is available to talk..he will. Regarding going out...well, I would let him go out with some friends so he can relieve some stress and get some air...he does work hard and needs sometime to regather...You stay home and continue to relax and pass out Halloween candy and make the best out of it. On the other hand, if you guys are looking to make extra money, I can help. visit my profile page and contact me.
    BusinessMom123

Answer by BusinessMom123 at 12:02 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Just tell him you can't afford it. My So and I have had this problem a few times. He gets upset sometimes, but he gets over it. He was also supposed to go out with his brother for halloween, and I told him I didn't think it was going to happen because we need to save money for xmas. I explained to him that it was either one or the other. He could go out for Halloween and spend $50, or we could use that money to buy our DD something we wanted to get her for xmas. Maybe try to put it to him that way. Good luck!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 12:03 PM on Oct. 29, 2008