Would you allow your child to participate?

An answer in another question got me to thinking. If schools would bring in a speaker from a different religion once a month, I wondered how many people would have a problem with it. Personally, I wouldn't. As long as they weren't pushing one religion over any other and all of them were equally represented. These sessions could be held as a kind of convo and students who didn't want to participate could be given a study hall during that time. What do you think? Would it help teach acceptance?
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 7:22 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Honestly, I think acceptance comes from how the PARENTS are, not from what kids get in school... But to answer your question, I'd have no problem with religious speakers coming in to talk about their religion, as long as (like you said) ALL religions were represented, I'm an atheist, but I have every intention of teaching my son about the various religions, and if he decides to follow one of them, that's his decision.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:24 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I think that would be a great way to teach about the religions of the world. NOt so much as a "preaching" session....but a learning session.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:24 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I would love to have a speaker from all religions come to my childs school. Of course that would never happen! I would love to have my daughter exposed to all beliefs so that she could respect what others believe. Have an understanding of where they come from. We really don't have any religion in our home, so I guess that would be why I am more open to the exposure. It would be nice.
    ClarkMom3

Answer by ClarkMom3 at 7:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I would probably not have a big problem with that. If that's as far as it went. However, when,as one school in California did, require Islam, with not participating would result in a failing grade, then I have to draw the line. Fortunately,that school didn't get that one off the ground, because the ACLJ stepped in,and said it was against the Constitution to do that (which I'm sure the school knew anyway, but still thought they'd get away with it). As the OP said, if one would be represented, they all should. Yes, all religions should probably be discussed, and that I would have no problem with.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 7:29 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My mom made me learn about all the different religions before getting baptised... I will def. do the same to my kids, I think this should be the parents responsibility, but would have no prob. with it happening in the schools.
    SusieQue717

Answer by SusieQue717 at 7:38 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I homeschool, but if my kids did attend public, I'd be very leary. one speaker might just be informational, but the next might try to proselytize. I'd rather support a teacher and world religions course than clergy speaking to the kids.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 7:38 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I think it would help, and would be very interesting.....it would also be cool to allow parents to sit in on these sessions if they wanted to....I disagree with the person who stated that you cannot learn acceptance at school if the parents are not onboard....frankly, I learned a lot of values at school that were not taught in my home.....some good, some not so good.....being exposed to other viewpoints goes a long way in helping people become more open-minded and at least tolerant if not accepting...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 7:41 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Personally, as long as it was "this is _______ religion. This is what they believe." and not "This is ______ religion, the ONE TRUE RELIGION!" - I have ZERO problem with it. I'd even encourage that kind of discussion.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Even if they were each pushing religion, as long as they were being exposed to different paths each time there would be no issue with me... Exposure is exposure... I think it would be a blessing.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:54 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• As long as they were not trying to convert the children I think it would be a great educational experience. I also think that it would teach people to accept people of different religions instead of not understanding and assuming they are bed.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 8:02 PM on Oct. 21, 2010