Pain in right side, under ribcage. What could it be?

I have had a pain in my side for several days now, under my ribcage on the right side. It hurts when I breathe, sneeze, cough, etc. Also it hurts really bad when lying down, or turning in the bed. However, it doesn't hurt as bed when sitting down, or standing. It pinches, and pulls, but not really painful, unless doing the above stuff. I went to the doctor for a sinus infection two days ago, and mentioned the pain. He thinks it may be plurasy. I've had plurasy before, but it didn't feel like this, and it was in my chest instead of my side. I'm on pain pills for this, as that's the only way I can sleep. What could it be? Should I get an xray for this? It's kinda scaring me, because it hurts so bad sometimes. I don't think it's gallbladder, but not sure. It kind of goes around to my back area on that side as well. Please give me some ideas. Thanks.

wmjsease

Asked by wmjsease at 9:33 AM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Health

• My dh went to the ER last week with bad pain in that area that also made his back hurt. It gradually got worse until he couldn't take it anymore. He ended up having several ulcers. Maybe look up the symptoms and see if that could be it, and ask your dr.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• It could be pneumonia,or your gal bladder

Answer by louise2 at 9:40 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Sounds a lot like the pain I had with my gall bladder issues but it if you've had a bad cough recently it could also be cracked or strained cartilage in your rib cage(which they can't do anything for unfortunately). I had that happen too and it was super painful. Hope you get well soon!

MommytoGRP

Answer by MommytoGRP at 9:45 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I've had pain similar to that and it was a pinched nerve.

As you can see, it can be ANYTHING so get to the doctor and see what's wrong with YOU!
    bdotmom

Answer by bdotmom at 10:18 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• OMg...I know what your saying. I got this terrible stomach ache like real early in the morning and the pain would last for a solid hour, after I sat up it seemed better...I had this for years. I went camping with 8 kids and hubby in tow and woke up like at 4am in terrible pain...went to the ER and the xrayed it and IT WAS my gallbladder....just from what your saying..it is your gallbladder. I know that pain and what you describe..OMG I know your hurt. Go back to your doctor and get it checked, xrayed because when they did mine, he said there were so many gallstones he couldn't count them....your gallbladder empties a liquid into your intestinal tract to help add in digestion along with the liver, you really don't need your gallbladder but girl...after you get it taken out you might have problems with diarhea, like I still so 14 years later.
    stayhomemom22

Answer by stayhomemom22 at 10:26 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Sounds like it could be a gall bladder issue.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:35 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• gallbladder

liver

rib

cartilage that holds muscles to ribs

scar tissue

endometriosis

cyst

tumor

fibroid

fatty deposits

calcium deposits/calicification

kidney

calydu

Answer by calydu at 11:27 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I am willing to bet it's your gall bladder. Do you notice it hurts more after you eat a big meal especially a fatty food? If it does I bet it's your gall bladder.
    BabyBreyen

Answer by BabyBreyen at 12:05 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• it can also easily be gas.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 1:49 PM on Oct. 29, 2008