how easy is it to get pregnant when you just use condoms?

My new boyfriend and I are only using condoms and when I told him I wasn't on the pill anymore he got worried that I might become pregnant since I am only 20 and have been pregnant before. SO is this a real concern? should we use something else besides condoms?

nandy90

Asked by nandy90 at 7:36 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• if you are not wanting a baby and you are having sex you should be on birth control no matter what a condom can be ripped and you can't see it, and opps theres a baby. but i do not know the % of women that get pregnant by just using condoms
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 7:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• If condoms are used properly, you are 99% safe... However, accidents do happen (a rip, it comes off, anything like that), so if he's really paranoid about it, maybe it would be better to use a back-up birth control like the pill.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• We used condoms for 12 years and only got pregnant when we were knowingly not careful.

If a baby would not be a welcome addition, then use a back up. If you could deal with an accident baby then condoms should be fine.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:42 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• i can deal with it but he seems like he doesnt want a family right now when i joked around about me not making him pay child support he got all serious and was like well fare would make me
    nandy90

Comment by nandy90 (original poster) at 7:44 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Thats how we got pregnant with our first child.. Yes, they do break, slip off etc..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:46 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• ya the first time we made love the condom broke but his stuff didnt get on me or anything like that he knew when it broke and replaced it so i am not worried about it but i will look into sprays and stuff that could kill sperm since josh feels we should be using something else
    nandy90

Comment by nandy90 (original poster) at 7:48 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• According to Planned Parenthood, condoms are about 80% effective WHEN USED PERFECTLY. That means no slipping, breaking, etc. That's not accounting for human error, which is actually pretty high. I'd use another method with condoms if you aren't prepared for a baby.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:49 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Why does your profile say you're trying to get pregnant and you're talking about your BF not wanting to get you pregnant??

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• well he is 24 with lots of experience so i trust him to use them right but it is better to be safe than sorry i am already under lots of stress trying to get my degree and its not going so well atm
    nandy90

Comment by nandy90 (original poster) at 7:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• that was when i had a dif boyfriend josh and i want a family just not right now and my profile just says i want to be a mom which i do just not right now
    nandy90

Comment by nandy90 (original poster) at 7:54 PM on Oct. 21, 2010