Please Help or Sympathize! Screeching 6 mo. old...

So my daughter is 6 months old and adorable in every way except... when she is bored or a little uncomfortable or really happy or tired- she shrieks. This is screeching to bring the cows home and make the dog howl, embarrassing in public and headache inducing at home. I've tried to ignore it, I've tried talking to her quietly, singing to her, just telling her NO, distracting her, fixing whatever might be wrong but whenever I try to do anything (like laundry, dishes, making dinner) other than pay direct attention to her for more than 5 minutes, I suffer with this screeching. I am at my wits end. Most of the time, my fixes last for a while, but this is off and on ALL DAY. Have I created this monster (too much attention, if that's possible with a 6 mo. old)? Is it a phase? Could it be something more, like inner ear pain? HELP, how can I deal with this best?
Thanks!

orangewedge

Asked by orangewedge at 8:05 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She is distressed just as you are give her love. I hope it calms some real soon. Bumped you and hang in there.
    Do you have a sling?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:10 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Hang in there. This too shall pass and until I suggest ear plugs. LOL
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 8:13 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• get a moby wrap momma! that way she is with you and your hands are free. Or put her in a bouncer and put her next to you while you do the laundry, etc... make it a game and talk to her about what youre doing (mommas washing the clothes, cause we all dirty! yes ma'am, etc) and make faces at her sing a silly song about how you are washing her dirty shirts from all that slobber, lol :)
    sarlove01

Answer by sarlove01 at 8:14 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Aw, hang in there!
    fluppyducky

Answer by fluppyducky at 8:14 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Use a baby carrier. I wore one with my son everyday. When his screaming got to be TOO much I put him in the playpen and went into another room for 5-10 minutes so I could take a breath. He loved being in the baby carrier and I could do all the things I needed or wanted to do!
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 8:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I put her in the carrier when I can, but she's heavy and the Baby Bjorn makes my back hurt after like 20 mins. Thanks for all your kindness ladies, it's torturing me, but all good advice.
    orangewedge

Comment by orangewedge (original poster) at 8:34 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My daughter does the same thing. She does it bc she thinks it is funny, but it is ear piercing and extremely unnerving. My daughter has been doing this for a while now and is now 17 months old. She doesn't do it nearly as often now and she is now old enough to understand that it makes me unhappy when I tell her NO! lol. Good luck to you. It WILL get better. I promise.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 8:39 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• LOL! The reason I'm laughing is because my 5 1/2 month old JUST started doing this too!! I don't get it...he just seems to do it constantly for whatever reason, happy, sad, excited, bored, angry whatever. Its driving me bonkers!! I put him in the sling when we're around the house which helps but after awhile he's back to it. Hopefully it IS just a phase...
    Sarahbeth7

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 9:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• ERGO carrier

my son is 4 he started doing the same thing around age 5 mo he still does it!! but not as much
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:16 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Wear her in a sling or wrap. You can use a sheet as a sling easily...no sewing required. go to you tub and search: sheet sling
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:17 AM on Oct. 22, 2010