tetanus shot...

I am way past due for my tetanus shot. Im 16wks pregnant. Should I bring this to my doctors attention on my next visit? I also read that the tetanus shot also protects againist the whooping cough aka pertussis.

Kristin0312

Asked by Kristin0312 at 8:22 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If you're concerned about it, I would. I don't recall getting one when I was pregnant, but then again, that was 18 years ago!
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 8:24 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Whoever told you Tetanus protects against Pertussis was mental! Unless you live on a farm, your chances of EVER needing a Tetanus shot are somewhere around 1 in a million... So you don't ever NEED this vaccine...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I don't think you can get the tetanus shot while you are pregnant, but I do not know this for sure. I would definitely call your dr to be sure. :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 8:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• The tetanus shot DOES protect you against pertussis... Its called the DTap shot and you will most likely be offered it once you have delivered your baby.
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 8:32 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• The combination tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis (TDaP) vaccine does protect against pertussis, but there's also a tetanus-only option.

When I got pregnant with my second, it was about time for my tetanus booster, and I asked my doctor at the time about the TDaP shot. He looked into it and told me that there was no research saying specifically whether it was safe during pregnancy or not, so he advised me against getting it until after birth.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I say better safe than sorry! If ya don't know then ask!!
    Amanda_82

Answer by Amanda_82 at 8:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• It is actually called the Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis) and now used for whooping cough not just Tetanus. It is good for 10 years. It is one recommended for pregnant women as is the Flu shot. New mothers who have never received a dose of Tdap should get a dose as soon as possible after delivery. I decided to get only the Tdap and I am 38 weeks with my 3rd and got it at 37 weeks. I have never had the flu or the flu shot so I decided against getting it. I live in California where already about a dozen babies have died from whooping cough so it was highly recommended. We even know a few people who's children brought it home from their schools and the parents also got it from their kids and were very close to dying. Very scary!
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 8:54 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Yes, the shot protects against pertussis. The ONLY person who can tell you for sure if you should get it while pregnant is your DOCTOR. I get the shot every 10 years because I know people who have had lock jaw, which the shot would have prevented. Do what YOU feel is right for you and don't worry about what nonvaccinating people think.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:17 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I would definitely ask your ob about that shot because mine told me he wants me to wait till after I give birth.
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 11:49 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• ask your doctor but last time i was at my dr.'s she said its not really safe during pregnancy
    lovebunny82709

Answer by lovebunny82709 at 3:24 AM on Oct. 22, 2010