Won't eat breakfast.

My son has always been a very good eater. Three meals a day, usually a snack somewhere between lunch and dinner. For the last few days, he hasn't eaten very much of a breakfast. He will be one on Monday (tear) and still gets a bottle of milk around 2-3 am. Should I start weaning him off of his mid-nightly bottle, or is it common for kids to not eat as much as they get older.
--- please do not tell me how bad it is to give my kid a bottle in the middle of the night. Thank you.

bloomsr

Asked by bloomsr at 9:39 AM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My dd is amost 2 and will only eat a banana for breakfast. Ive tried waffles, eggs, cereal, otmeal, toast.... You name it, I tried it. She eats pretty good the rest of the day so I just let it go. Considering she eats her banana and drinks her milk I dont worry too much. I dont like to eat in the morning either. If your son doesnt eat breakfast then give him a snack b/n breakfast and lunch. Dont worry. Kids know when to eat and will not let themselves starve. :)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:44 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I would not worry. As long as he is eating something and he is eating throughout the day you should have nothing to worry about. kids will not starve themselves. I know my middle child snacks all day. he is more of a grazer then anything else and although he is getting better now that he is older he never ate much at meal time.

You would try stopping the midnight bottle and see if that changes things. It might help and you might see that he is eating more. He may not really need that bottle, it is one of those things were you might just have to try it to see what happens.

Don't worry and Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:44 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• and yes, I would start getting him off that middle of the night bottle.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:45 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Its not bad to give your child the bottle in the middle of the night, as long as he is asking for it.
    This bottle in the night makes him stuffed for a long time, and thats probably why he doesnt want anything or barely anything for breakfast. Try how it goes without the bottle and he will probably eat his breakfast. And if it doesnt change, well then he just isnt hungry in the morning. :)

But you are right, the older the babies get, the less they eat. Thats because of the solid food, makes them stuffed for longer than the breast- or formula milk.

And its still ok, when he sometimes just doesnt want to eat anything. My daughter is still doing that every once in a while. There are days when she is barely eating anything and the next day she is eating like a pig. HAHA.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 9:49 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• my son is 14 months and he's not a breakfast eater either. He normally eats a hot dog or piece of bologna but that's it. If I try to give him something else, he looks at me like I've lost my mind and throws it in the floor. My dad's always telling me to give him something other than bologna but that's what he wants, so that's what he gets. He eats other foods during the day, but at breakfast that's the only thing he wants. Also my son still gets the mid-night bottle, but it's more of a comfort thing. He'll pop that bottle in his mouth drink maybe an ounce then he's back out. He just likes holding it in one hand when he sleeps!
    JuliaDanielle

Answer by JuliaDanielle at 9:53 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• when he gets hungry he will eat. kids of all ages are like that, sometimes they eat a lot and other times they barely eat anything. it wont kill him if he doesnt eat a lot at breakfast he will make up for it at another meal during the day.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 11:37 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• This is actually pretty great timing! Here shortly he should be using a sippy cup only! this might also help with the midnight bottle, as you can break both habits all together. Even though I think the bottle isn't helping with his not being hungry in the morning; I truly feel that he will eat when he is hungry, as my son eats very little in the morning, maybe an egg or two, sometimes he won't even eat cereal. Just let him oink out when he wants to :)
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 2:38 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• we were told to start sippy cups with brianna :S She still wakes up though for milkies :D Hey no more formula ne more for you! That's one plus for ethan being one! Saving formula money.
    darcyk10

Answer by darcyk10 at 10:12 PM on Nov. 4, 2008