My dog bites my toddler.

So, I kept thinking that what my dog does is snaps. But I guess technically he bites. He does make contact and the bites have almost broke the skin on numerous occasions. We have been working very hard with the dog and DD, but he is still biting her. The latest incident I was sitting a few feet away and looked over at them, suddenly my DD was crying. He had bit her hand. The day before that my dog turned and bit at me when I was correcting him for whatever it was he had done. I don't smack him or kick, I just grab the nape of his neck, tell him no, and put him in his kennel. There have been other times when he has bit me also. I guess I just don't know where to draw the line with an aggressive dog. What do I do?

juliebulie

Asked by juliebulie at 8:38 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Pets

• Get rid of the dog, unfortunately.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:39 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• honestly id talk to a dog trainer and see if that works, if not rehome him to a family w/o small kids, some dogs get too stressed with small kids and they don't handle it well making them hostile
    alcnic27

Answer by alcnic27 at 8:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Get rid of the stupid dog!!!! Seriously! Are you waiting for it to REALLY hurt your kid first? My dog is my "firstborn", but if he even LOOKED like he was going to bite my kids he'd be down the road....
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 8:41 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• A dog that bites the hand that feeds them is a serious issue. We had a dog that sudden;ly began snapping one day. Turns out he had a brain tumor. If the dog has experienced a change in family dynamics he may be trying to regain his staus. Personally, I couldn't and wouldn't keep a dog that bit my child in front of me. If he will do that..what might he do if you walk out of the room. Your child is also being conditioned not to like or trust dogs. I would get rid of him personally.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:42 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• time to put the dog down,no dog of mine will bit any one ,since you have child in the house your main job is to look after the child ,and since your child in danger time to move the dog
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 8:42 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Personally, I would get rid of the dog. I know people love their animals, but I love my children more than any animal and would not take that, especially if the dog attempts to bite me as well. You never know if the dog will go beyound a snap and attack the child. Then you could get in trouble for knowing the dog is aggresive and allowing it around the child. Be careful..... I hope you figure it out.
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 8:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Well I know not to put in kennel for disicpline...But is he doing it bc she is getting too much attention? Is he a mean dog? I believe when you take on an animal that it is part of the family, so I would look into trainers or look for tips online.. I dunno what breed it is but maybe he needs more walks or attention. But for sure I would do something and quickly..:)
    Kelly2573

Answer by Kelly2573 at 8:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Provided that you know this dog has a history of aggressive behavior, if he ever bites someone (including your child) you will be 100% legally liable. I bet CPS would be interested about this situation too. My point is - this is REALLY REALLY serious. You don't seem to think it is. Does your dog need to kill a child before you get your head out of your ass and do something??
    Anonymous

• Okay. He is a chihuahua mix. I don't think he is a mean dog, but I could be wrong. He like certain people, but is a typical nervous small dog. The first time he bit was when he was a puppy still. I tried to grab some food he found, out of his mouth and he turned around and bit right through my fingernail. We have started advertising for a new home, but is it likely that someone is going to take a dog who has a history of biting? I have been working hard on not letting them be alone, and teaching my DD how to be soft. She is still very young and doesn't get the concept completely. She is only 15 months old. I am starting to think we may have to just not have a pet until DD is much older. I love the dog, but it's like a weekly occurance. He is better now that I have been working with them both, he gets up and walks away more, but the bites still happen. And it really pisses me off when he turns and bites me when he I correct.
    juliebulie

Comment by juliebulie (original poster) at 8:53 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• julie- my dd doesn't do well wtih pets yet either at 22 months she LOVES puppies but i wont get a pet till shes a bit older as well for fear of the poor dogs anxiety and the bite factor, im sure you can find some one that will be willing to work with him just explain it to them and GL!!
    alcnic27

Answer by alcnic27 at 8:57 PM on Oct. 21, 2010