how do i get my roomates little boy to stop hitting all the time

LonelyMommy2day

Asked by LonelyMommy2day at 9:40 AM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I guess it depends on the type of parent your room mate is, and how badly you want her to stay your room mate. If she's the type that thinks her child can do no wrong, well then I don't think that there is much that you can do here besides say "stop hitting". But if she's a better parent than that, tell her what's going on and tell her that when you see him hitting, you will be saying something to him. Sometimes just the shock of hearing NO from another adult shocks them enough, but probably not in this case.
    bdotmom

Answer by bdotmom at 10:08 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Does he hit you or his mom? If he's hitting you, its fair to keep him from hitting you and say "no hitting" very firmly. If his Mom isn't disciplining him for this and isn't open to discipline advice from you, you're in a tough situation. But, I would say something if you're ready to find a new roommate.
    oregonmom22

Answer by oregonmom22 at 11:15 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Kids go through this stage!!! You just have tell them its not nice~ And explain to them that it hurts. But if she is using spanking then this is what the child is seeing mommy do so they think it is ok! Not that I am against spanking but they relateto it
    ChannaRamma

Answer by ChannaRamma at 1:44 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Try to catch him if you can & tell him no hitting. If you don't catch him hitting someone then ask him if he hit.( while having him at eye level) Then let him know that "we dont hit." Ask your roommate if they would be offended if you put the child in time out for hitting. It's not okay for the little one to hit you or anyone else.
    onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 12:52 AM on Oct. 30, 2008