If you heard a rumor about a co-worker that may be detrimental to their employment, would you let them know about the rumor?

marchar2002

Asked by marchar2002 at 8:53 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• Yes, but be careful how you word it. You might want to start off by asking if they were aware there is a rumour about them going around. Tell them what it is then let them do what they want to do with the information.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:12 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• No because I would question the validity of the rumor and wonder why I was spreading it myself.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:57 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• It would probably depend on how close to the coworker I actually was.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:55 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Hmmm.... I think that you're in a hard position, but to be honest, if it were me, I wouldn't let the person know because it truly isn't any of my business, unless she's not just a co-worker, and she's my friend, then yeah, I would probably say something to them if it didn't jeopordize me in anyway.
    KamilahsLuv

Answer by KamilahsLuv at 8:56 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I'm sure if you heard they've heard it too.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:57 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I guess it would be determined by the nature of the rumor and the closeness I felt to the co-worker. If I wasn't on a level to discuss their personal life with them and it was a very personal rumor, I wouldn't confront them with the rumor. If I were pretty casually acquainted and the rumor was about something that we would normally discuss (family, friends, life, work, etc.) then I would feel confident in my "right" (for lack of a better word) to bring it up.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 8:57 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Stay out of work place politics..it eventually comes out and bites you in the hind end.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:58 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Yes. How would you feel if the rumor was about you and no one told you about it?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:11 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• It all depends on my relationship with the co-worker.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I would let them know ONLY if I was close to the person. If I was not close/friends with the person, I would mind my own business, but DON't make it worse by doing anything.

I heard a saying once: "Be harmless, not helpful"
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 6:40 AM on Oct. 22, 2010