Mirena questions adult content

I have been looking at different message boards all over the net trying to find out if you can take Mirena out yourself and if so, how. I know in the lit I got two years ago when I got it inserted, it said you could remove it yourself. Has anyone ever done this, and if so, how? And if you took it out for the sole purpose of trying to get pregnant, how long did it take you to conceive after removing it? And has anyone every experienced like totally nonexistant libido? Sorry so many questions lol!

JourneyToANewMe

Asked by JourneyToANewMe at 8:55 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Health

• I had the mirena however I had to have mine removed surgically (which is uncommon, but there were circumstances behind it) anyway after I had it removed it took us about a year to conceive. I am not sure if you can take it out yourself, I do know that normally they can do it very quickly in an office visit.

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 8:58 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I had it, but I didn't remove it myself. Once I had it removed though, it took me almost a year to get pregnant. And as for the libido...mine was GONE the entire time I had that thing in.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 9:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• How long did you have it before you got it removed? This is the second time I've had it. The first time I had it for less than a year because it gave me such severe mood swings I literally threw a knife one time because I was angry at the onions I was slicing! This time around, I've had it for almost two years and I was thinking that the amount of time it takes to conceive after removal is dependent upon how long you've had it....
    JourneyToANewMe

Comment by JourneyToANewMe (original poster) at 9:10 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I researched Mirena and saw nothing but bad things. However, I have learned that "reviews" of birth control online will almost always be bad because only pissed off people take the time to go on and review the product. Every bc I have researched has poor reviews. I am waiting for Implanon. VERY neat bc, but hard to find a doc who does it.
    MommyHess

Answer by MommyHess at 9:13 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I had mine for the entire five year period. I never had any problems with my libido while I was on it.
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 9:15 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Do not remove it yourself! You could really tear something and do major damage. I had the mirena and I had nothing but problems. Very moody, angry, etc. similar to your situation. Go get it removed by a doc. If you have no insurance, Planned Parenthood can remove it for you also.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:21 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Oh, and to answer your other questions -- I had mine for four years, and it took us 8 months to get pregnant after removal. They had to rip it out of me because it got embedded. Most painful thing in my life.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:22 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Oh wow MommaofH2....I'm sorry you had to go through that. I guess I should have mentioned that I do have insurance but my husband is coming home for EML (leave) next month and I can't get an appointment until next month as well and we wanted to try while he was home. I guess I'm just being impatient lol. But I have been waiting for that man to be ready for another child for years and now that he says he is, I don't want to miss the opportunity lol.
    JourneyToANewMe

Comment by JourneyToANewMe (original poster) at 9:32 PM on Oct. 21, 2010