I have a new 29 gallon fish tank, Can I put My 2yr old Beta in there?

I would love for him to have room to swim..Will he be ok in there with other fish, Like angels and tetras ? Also will the filter cause a problem for him?

emturner

Asked by emturner at 9:43 AM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Pets

• I've had fish for over 20 years...

Yes, you can put him in a large tank. They actually do very well in large tanks with other fish..
    That said, I would not put him into a tank with Angels. Angels are semi-aggressive fish that get very large( 8-10") and will eat a Betta when they get larger. They are very slow moving fish, so as young fish, a Betta could chase and attack an Angel and eat its fins.
    Tetras... it would depend on the species. Neons are fine with Bettas, but not with Angels. Some Tetras can be very nippy and will nip at the Betta's and Angel's fins....( red minor or serpae, skirts, lemons, etc)
    Platties, and Mollies are great tank mates with Bettas and Neons as long as they are female and not male. Males tend to be more nippy.

Claire
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 3:08 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• They are aggressive fish, so may not be a good idea. But here they list some possible good and bad tankmates
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siamese_fighting_fish#Tankmates
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• No way. Beta's like to be in their own tank. If you want to know how he'll react, put a mirror in front of him - he should puff up and go after it.
    bdotmom

Answer by bdotmom at 10:04 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• betas can in fact be in a tank with other fish. but they cannot be agressive fish or fish with long fins. Theres a local fish store all they sell is pet fish and they have beats in with small fish with small tails and I never sen them fight. Its then only store that has fish that i havent seen floaters in either(dead Fish)
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 10:08 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• The filter won't cause a problem for the beta. But they do like to pick at fins of other fish. There are some fish you can put them with but usual y it is a female beta. But you can ask googles or the pet store if they know for sure. I have done it before and all was well but it was  with guppies. Ask around to make sure before you try...lol

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 3:09 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• The ONLY fish a betta will be aggressive towards is another male betta. Other than their own kind they are extremely shy, timid and non-agressive fish. If your tank has plenty of hiding places, and escape hatches fron tight corners, as well as a good filter that does not create a strong suction (hard to do that, I know!) it might have a chance.
    Anonymous