I WANT MY ULTRASOUND! Do I need a new doctor??

I am 14 weeks and 1 day pregnant and my doctor will not give me an ultrasound until I can find out the baby's sex. Everyone I know has the cute little ultrasound pictures from almost every monthly doctor visit. My doctor is very old fashioned and claims that the ultrasound could harm my baby. Is that true? Or should I consult a different doctor for the rest of my pregnancy?

CrystalRaee

Asked by CrystalRaee at 9:06 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• They usually dont do them until the 20 week mark unless there is a problem. If they dont plan on doing one then I would find someone else!!!
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 9:07 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• NO ONE I know has an ultrasound from every month of their pregnancy, NO insurance company will pay for on just because. Also, many insurance companies only pay for an ultrasound if there is a medical reason to do so. Ask the doctor again, but I wouldn't change doctors just because he won't do a bunch of ultrasounds.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:08 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• It's actually the norm to only have maybe 2 or 3 ultrasounds a month, unless you're paying out of pocket for them. I get one every visit, but I'm also paying for them, not my insurance.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:10 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I know normally you would have one at about 20 weeks, it is not normal to have one at every appointment unless they suspect you may be having multiples (they would hear more than one heart beat). I don't know if they harm the baby, but I have seen on a National Geographic film called In the Womb, that when an ultra sound is done it sounds like a train is passing right past your head for the baby, so it is supposed to be very loud, but that is all I know of.
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 9:11 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• U/s can't hurt the baby so it is concerning he would say that. As another poster said insurance companies would never pay for needless ultrasounds. 2 is usually a max per pregnancy unless there is an issue. 18-20 weeks is really average for first one unless you couldn't determine your dates.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:11 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• We had an ultrasound done to confirm the pregnancy, one to determine the sex, one because my placenta was low, and one because I was measuring small the last two weeks of my pregnancy.. Most people do not have more than one ultrasound unless something is wrong though. If you're really upset about it, try talking to your doctor again. As far as insurance, they should cover it if it's confirming the pregnancy.
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 9:11 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Usually 20 weeks. You can go pay for a 3D ultrasound at a school. It's suppose to be inexpensive and the tech is learning.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 9:11 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• First off, ultrasounds are not known to be 100% safe. the American Medical Association recommends AGAINST unnecessary exposure. They are not medically necessary most of the time. If your doctor says you don't need one, you need to listen to your doctor.
    I don't know anyone who has had ultrasounds at every single visit unless they are high risk!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:12 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Personally, I believe your dr is right. Ultrasounds should be used for emergency purposes only and once thru the pregnancy to ensure baby is growing right. Between 18-20 weeks is about the average. Even that is not always necessary. No one knows the effects that an ultrasound can have. There are many drs that do believe it can harm the baby and I believe they are right.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 9:13 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I had 4 or 5. One at 15 weeks and the rest were because I stopped growing and they wanted to check on the baby. He kept growing, he was just pushing things around to fit instead of making me grow out. They had to keep an eye on it, but I still didn't have an ultrasound every month. They even did the 4-D for free to check on him.
    cassey.e

Answer by cassey.e at 9:16 PM on Oct. 21, 2010