My 18 month old daughter is crying unconsolibly. What do I do?!?!

My 18 month old was 45 minutes into her usually 2 hour nap when she woke suddenly and began to cry. She has been crying for at least 30 minutes now and nothing will make he stop. We can distract her for a moment with miscellaneous things but then she just starts to cry again. We have asked her if she has an "ouchy" but she just crys. Is this normal if woken suddenly from a nap if she wasn't ready to wake up? She has never cried this long before. Am I supposed to rush her into the E.R.? Help!

hollysybb

Asked by hollysybb at 9:13 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She might be just super grumpy -- any other symptoms?
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:16 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• she might had a night mer sp
    ilovemyson2002

Answer by ilovemyson2002 at 9:23 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• or a dream
    ilovemyson2002

Answer by ilovemyson2002 at 9:24 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• First off does she have shoes on? Dumb question right? My gransdson once somehow got hi toe bent under and it caused a pressure sore. He cried for an hour before I decided to put ihim in the tub...I took his shoes off and instantly stopped. I would also sit her on my lap and gently tug on her earlobe, or push gently down on the little notch in front of the ear canal. If she cries out, or pulls away it's a good chance she at minimum has pressure in her ears and it could be an infection. When was the last time she moved her bowels? Is she running a fever? Unfortunately, all you can do is troubleshoot through what it might be.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:24 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I agree with GrnEyedGrandma...you need to play detective here a little. Maybe she just had a nightmare, maybe she is just having a bad time. I know my son has done that, and he is usually super-agreeable and not prone to tantrums. Take off all her clothes, take off her diaper, and really look her over. Run your hands over her body, first softly and then more firmly (like a massage) and see if she reacts to anything you do. She could have an upset stomach, or earache, or any number of things that are REALLY hard to diagnose in a baby who can't talk much yet. I feel for you! My son is 21 months and we still have mystery cries every so often and I hate that I can't always figure out what set him off. Best you can do is be a comfort, be calm, don't panic, don't scare her more by overreacting. Even if your stomach is in knots. Take deep breaths and be the calm mama you know she needs right now. Good luck!
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 9:29 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Thank you for the advice. She is still crying! Daddy took her outside to play ball with Doggie and she was happy and smiling no more crying... now that it is dark we are back inside and she is crying non stop and having fits. She has NEVER been like this before. No fever, had a bowel movement today and was normal. This is crazy. I'm trying to relax and not overreact.... not easy for sure.
    hollysybb

Comment by hollysybb (original poster) at 9:55 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Oh man, I feel for you!! that is the most helpless feeling in the world. My son had a couple "random" freakouts before we realized that he was very afraid of the sound of helicopters! Once we realized it, we could help talk him through it. But when you have no clue...that is the worst!!
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 10:02 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Is she teething? maybe a tummy ache? Hungry or thirsty? Did she finally calm down?
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 12:59 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• www.purplecrying.com and BTW purple crying can ;ast util age 2! look it up, and relax
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:07 AM on Oct. 22, 2010