Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

thinking of going back to school and get my degree to become an elementary teacher.What degree do I need? and would it be a 4 yr college?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (5)
  • Bachelors and then a masters for permanent certification.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 9:20 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

  • You need a bachelors (4 year) in elementary education.

    Answer by scout_mom at 9:32 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

  • The masters can come after you get your first job - you can get that a couple classes a year while you are working, and you have a couple of years before you have to start on that. Four-year college, yes, although that does not mean that you have to actually get your degree in 4 years - you can take more time if you need to (either for financial reasons or time reasons). GL - sounds like a good goal !!

    Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 4:43 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

  • Your BA in elementary ED will get your foot in the door, which will take 3.5-4 years depending on how hard you work. However the more educationand certifications you have the higher you will land on the pay scale!!! But if you just want to get DO have to get your BA first!!

    Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 9:17 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

  • A friend of mine is a teacher. She needed a bachelors, which nowadays takes 5 years to complete because of all the classes you need to take. You'll also eventually need a masters. However, wait until you are employed to do that. She said most school districts are less willing to hire someone who has a masters but no work experience. Not only that, but the school district paid for her to get her masters.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 12:09 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.