Work or My 30 year old Daughter?

My daughter has Coushins Diases. This affects the Pituarly Gland which is right behind the fore head and tip of the Brain. She needs surgery to take out this gland. Not really life threating as Doctors say?.
My boss and I have been arguing about me being with my daughter during this surgery..out of state. My boss says she is too short staffed to be letting me go and she will NOT do the shift.
I feel torn between my Daughter and my Career.... Help....

JulySmile

Asked by JulySmile at 9:35 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• yes!! go be with your daughter!! way more important than anything!
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 10:32 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Does your employer have more than 50 employees? Have you worked there consecutively for 12 months? Then, guess what? Your boss has no choice as you have the law on your side under FMLA. You should probably contact HR (if there is one) to get the forms and provide the proper medical documentation necessary to qualify.
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 9:58 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Well, it is kind of brain surgery ... but they go up through the nose. As with every surgery, there are potential complications but the surgery isn't too bad. However, it's crappy that your boss is not allowing you to go! I don't know if FMLA would apply to your situation?
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I'd tell my boss to kiss my A**. NO ONE has or ever will, make me choose between my daughter & anything/anyone else! My daughter is 32. If she were having surgery and wanted me to be there, I'd be there, period! I'd be there even if she told me I didnt have to be. That's what mom's do. Check the "Family Medical Leave" laws in your state. If they apply to you, you can go be with your daughter without repercussions from your employer.
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 10:00 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• hey there sorry you are going through this butttt there is a [aid family medical leave act that you may fall under and that bitch of a boss can't do nada about here is the government web site with some info.. i wish you and your daughter the very best!

http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/index.htm
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 10:21 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• i meant unpaid.. sorry... i didhuman resources for a construction company and there were employees whom took advantage of of the law
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 10:22 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I would not let anyone keep me from being with my child.

My cousin is 18 and just graduated from high school and found 3 lumps in her breast. She had to see a sergeon and have a biopsy. My aunts boss wouldn't let her off. They said 3 days weren't enough notice and it wasn't an emergency. She is one of several office people at an eye doctor's office. Her father went but that is something she would have rather had her mother.
    cassey.e

Answer by cassey.e at 10:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• sounds like you boss is a bitch with no kids......and she cant stop you from going or fire you over going as long as you give her the proper amount of notice.....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:03 AM on Oct. 22, 2010