How come my baby wont poop, and what can i do to help him poop?

he is bottle fed and he is 12 days old please help me im a new mom

mama2jaybub

Asked by mama2jaybub at 9:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Diluted prune juice helps. How long has it been since he's had a bowel movement?
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:46 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• 1 1/2 days and he is a newborn is it still okay for juice already? wudn't that mess up a babys glucose?
    mama2jaybub

Comment by mama2jaybub (original poster) at 9:47 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• You need to talk to his pediatrition. My DS had trrouble pooping at first and they had me give him glycerine suppositories for awhile until his bowels caught up with his growth. This is a very common problem and they catch up by around 3 months.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 9:47 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• At that young of an age I'd call the pediatrician and see what he recommends.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 9:48 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• CALL YOUR PEDIATRICIAN!! Do that right now if you havent already done so! WHY would you wait 12 DAYS, then come to a site like this & ask that question, instead of calling your babies doctor??? They are available 24/7, so stop looking for answers here & make that call!
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 9:49 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• its very common to have this problem at his age. I went thru it with all 3 of my children. My dr told me not to worry that he will eventually go. but if ur really worried about it, try giving him some water. not much. with my second i used a baby suppository. but sometimes they get used to only going with those. (at least mine did)..or you could use a thermomter. that also worked for me. but trust me he'll go eventually. i freaked everytime i had a new baby even though i knew i had been thru the same process with each of them. its aggravating i know.
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 9:50 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• 1.5 days isn't so bad for not pooping. Is his stomach hard or is he gassy or fussy, straining and getting no where?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:50 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I see where you say it's only been a day & 1/2 since he's had a bowel movement. Still make that call! dont give your newborn anything at all until you ask his doctor.
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 9:50 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Definitely call your ped. You ped should be involved in any issues like this for babies under 8wks old. Don't go self treating. You want this documented that you first had a problem @ 1.5 wks in case this becomes a reoccurant problem.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 9:53 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• i wouldnt recommend juice. i have an old timer dr that was my dr when i was a baby. and when i addressed this problem to him he told me no juice and let it take its course. my baby is now 5 months and he went days without pooping. to this day he still only goes once a day. just talk to his doctor the next visit. good luck and congrats on the baby!!! u'll be a great mother :)
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 9:54 PM on Oct. 21, 2010