My 2 1/2 year old son will not have anything to do with his daddy when I am around. Is this normal and how can I help the situation change?

My husband just keeps trying and trying and our son just keeps pushing him away. The only time they "get along" mutually, is when they are rough housing and play wrestling together. Otherwise, my son rarely has anything to do with my husband. It is breaking my heart. please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 14 month old son is the same way. His father and I separated right after he was born and just recently have we started getting our relationship back where it was. We've been spending time together to get nathan used to seeing us together for long periods of time. He comes to me for EVERYTHING when we're around his dad and it makes my SO feel inadequate. But nathan's not like that at home, just around his dad. But after a whole weekend together he goes, if not equally then atleast fairly, between the two of us. I have to ignore some of his requests in order to get him to go to his dad, and it is hard but it does work. I don't have any other real solution, but you do have my sympathy!!
    JuliaDanielle

Answer by JuliaDanielle at 10:05 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Its normal. Im a SAHM mom so I know that makes a diff. My daughter will go as a far as not letting her father give her juice or a toy. She cries until I give it to her. I literally have to take it from him and hand it to her myself.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 10:11 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• My son is this way too. He was in a daddy phase all summer til like the end of Aug. Now it is mommy all the time. I think they just go throw phases. Give it time.
    Sierra15

Answer by Sierra15 at 10:15 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• i have the opposite problem my kids love dad when he is home and dont want to hang out with me i think it my just be a faze he is going through.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 11:34 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Thanks for all the good insights. It is nice to know that others have had similar issues. My son has been this way for maybe 6 months now - is that still considered a "phase"? . It has intensified, not surprisingly, since our daughter was born in July. Thankfully, he has an older brother, who is 4 1/2, who is his best buddy.
    bzemom024

Answer by bzemom024 at 11:44 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I'm a single Mom and we started to have this issue with our son when Dad would come and pick him up...he would kick and cry and just didn't want anything to do with Dad. So we started spending time at the park together, and I would sit and read a book. Eventually, he worked his way out of it.

His doctor said it was a lot to do with seperation anxiety, and the fact that Daddy leaves but he doesn't know where he goes or if he is coming back. At various stages, I guess kids can slip in and out of that and it changes as they develop fears.

lildevil_mama

Answer by lildevil_mama at 12:28 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• My sons both did that . So, I would go over to my husband give him a hug and say , " My Daddy !" I made it a game. I would keep saying MY DADDY and my sons would say , "No, silly Mommy that's my Daddy." So, I would stop hugging my husband and tell them yes this is YOUR Daddy and he loves his baby boy. Well it worked and they were always hug when I would walk into the home and my boys would look at me and say again my hug, my Daddy. Hope it helps
    michellerosenj

Answer by michellerosenj at 12:41 AM on Oct. 31, 2008