smokeless tobacco and breastfeeding

I am breastfeeding my 1 year old several times a day, is it okay to do smokeless tobacco every once and a while? (weekly or monthly)

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 10:02 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you could try asking this question to the breastfeeding group, they're alot of very knowledgable ladies in there I'm sure one of them would know more specifics
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 10:12 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• You mean like Skoal? That's not very lady like.
    Anonymous

• Your baby will be getting nicotine. Do you want your baby to have nicotine? Why use it at all if its only weekly or monthly? Just wait until you are done breastfeeding.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 10:06 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I would ask your doctor because you're still getting nicotine into your system, which is a drug and could cause harm to your child.
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 10:05 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Thanks for your opinions, just looking for facts though. Like the halflife of nicotine in breastmilk? She feeds every 5 hours
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 10:07 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• It's best if you dont, but if you're going to do it then wait until right after a feeding, that way there will be less of it in you're systen at your next feeding
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 10:08 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• yeah it is nicotine and all doctors I've come across say NO NO NO . i know quite a few woman who use smokeless tobacco, and they are very much a lady , more so then many I've come across on forums like CM. just because they "rub" or" chew" don't make them any less a lady

pinkrayn

Answer by pinkrayn at 10:10 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• NO. It's nicotine and it's bad for the baby!!!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:12 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• The way that smokeless tobacco works is by entering the bloodstream through the capillaries in your mouth. Breastmilk is a filtrate of blood. Anything you consume that enters your blood WILL pass to your breastmilk. Find a lactation consultant or a midwife with a copy of "Medications and Mother's Milk" by Dr. Thomas Hale. That will have the half life of almost anything you can put into your body and how it passes to the baby in it. You may be able to find a copy at the library, too.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:17 PM on Oct. 21, 2010