Is your child too smart for their age (or their own good)?

My son who is three has a vocabulary of a 15 yr old, carries on full conversations, knows the meaning of big words & so on.

My_o_me_x_3

Asked by My_o_me_x_3 at 10:04 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yep, I have one of those...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:05 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I've got 2.
    DS,11, reads at a 12th grade level. Ever tried to find books that are for teens and not have them have any romance in them? Harder than you would think. AAAHHHH!!!

DS,2, has a large vocabulary and understands too much. He won't quit taking things apart to see how they work. We've hidden all of the screwdrivers in the house from him.

Trying to keep up with these two is going to be the death of me. LOL
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 10:14 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• yup! wait till you put him in pre-school they will tell you he has autism and send you for testing!
    That's what happen with us, my 4 year old could explain how gravity held the planets in place so of course she couldn't hold a conversation with her peers. She could also read Harry Potter - not that we let her.
    When we put her in pre-school they told us something was terrible wrong with her and they assumed she had autism. 6 months of testing told us that she was just very bright for her age!
    When we put her in school, they gave her how to be a friend classes to "bring her down" to the level of her peer group. lol but it worked and she's happy.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 10:16 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Well, the 3 oldest (24, 21 and 18) are past that stage, thankfully. But we still have three teenagers at home 15, 15 and 13....'nuff said

KimPippin

Answer by KimPippin at 10:17 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• my daugher is 14 months and mommy slipped up one time and siad sh** one day when i dropped something and now everytime she drops something its sh**
    honeyb690

Answer by honeyb690 at 10:19 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• dmbutler that sound literally just like my house hold! I have an 11 yr old who is unbelievably advanced in reading so yes we have the book problem too lol & the post was about my 3 yr old who also takes everything apart to see how it works & even tries to put it back together
    My_o_me_x_3

Comment by My_o_me_x_3 (original poster) at 10:22 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Thats how my 2 and 3yr old is. Huge vocabulary. Sometimes the things they say shock me. Everyone they come across cant believe their age. They even shocked the new doctor.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 10:32 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Yep my oldest was and is like that. At 5 he was reading medical dictionaries and looking up words in the dictionary. He had a very large vocabulary and read nearly everything in site. He did multiplication and algebra by 1st grade. He can carry all kinds of great conversations, and is a very deep thinker. He's fun to talk too, other adults we know love having conversations with him.
    I have no idea where he got all this from...cause it certainly wasn't me. I'm articulate and intelligent but certainly wasn't at that age.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 11:25 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• yes my lil one is only 5 MONTHS and tries to push the release on the car seat thank god he isnt strong eneugh!!!
    MichelleBabyBoy

Answer by MichelleBabyBoy at 11:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My son is exactly like that and he just turned 3 months! Just kidding. :)
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:52 AM on Oct. 22, 2010