Is it normal for a Daddy's Girl to treat mom badly?

My daughter is two. Very sweet, full of energy, love and wants to learn everything. I have noticed she will not listen to me like she listens to dad. She will get mad and yell and cry then slap me. She gives me so much attitude but with dad he can do her hair or get her dressed with no problem. Mom is another story. Why is this? Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? Does she really hate me? When will this change? What can I do to help?

Thanks

dez92408

Asked by dez92408 at 10:14 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Man, I am going through the same thing. It really hurts my feelings. I dont know how to fix it though :(
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 10:16 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• the opposite happens in my house. i have a mommys girl who can be quite mean to her daddy!
    kaddiefrass

Answer by kaddiefrass at 10:23 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• i have the EXACT same thing going on in my house my 22 month old will hit kick scream at me..daddy says no she listens i say no she freaks out!
    alcnic27

Answer by alcnic27 at 10:31 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I don't think it is EVER appropriate for a child to hit their parent. It's ok for her to be a daddy's girl, and it's probably just a phase. But you're husband needs to stand up for you and require her to respect you. She can learn that, even at 2.

I'm sorry, that must be so hurtful!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:50 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Yeah, my daughter is a Mommy's girl and will deny Papa kisses and doesn't listen properly, but she doesn't hit him. That's not acceptable and she has been informed of this.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:59 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My girl is all most 2.she is a mommy girl.She don't hit us she tried but we let her no that wasn't going fly.I am at home and I think she is a little mad at Dad for being gone wile he is working. He will ask for a kiss and she will wine a little,but other times she goes up to him to give a kiss.
    bucky77

Answer by bucky77 at 5:57 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• ok for those that say their kids wont get away with hitting how do you get them not to? ive told my child dont hit we dont hit its not nice ive held her arms down all of it and none of it works
    alcnic27

Answer by alcnic27 at 8:30 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Your husband does not need to stand up for you. YOU need to stand up for you. When she throws a tantrum, ignore her. When she hits you, time out or whatever consequence you have established - and be consistent! It may take some time, but it should work. She will learn to respect you.

I am not perfect. This is something I am working on as well. I do time-outs or breaks. I take her to her room for 2 minutes (a minute per year) when she hits, bites (a rarity), or kicks.

Also, I do think that it is somewhat normal for the extra attitude toward you. I know my daugther sometimes likes to push me more than her Dad. I know she actually does worse with me when Daddy is home. However, I am also the one with her most of the time. Just keep your chin up and don't take it personally. She loves you! Be consistent and make sure you and Dad are on the same page.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:37 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• You need to take your daughter in hand when she does these things and inform her that she is -never- allowed to treat you that way. You are her mother, she may be a 'daddies girl' but she -must- respect you, because you are her parent as well. We go through this with mine, but she is a mommies girl. Daddy puts her into the corner until she is finished, then they talk about how she needs to treat him with repsect. She is 4 now and apologizes on her own when she gets out of hand, but it is not okay, and phase or not, you should not allow her to treat you so. I know it's hard, but you need to be firm now, before she is a teenager doing this things.
    Noeyhead

Answer by Noeyhead at 1:51 PM on Oct. 22, 2010