has anyone had difficulty bf'ing? I've had cracked bleeding nipples, mastitis, and now a yeast infection due to my baby girl having thrush! I sterilize constantly and i keep warm compresses to help circulate my breasts before each feed and i am still having trouble enjoying this so-called great bond...

debicakes_02

Asked by debicakes_02 at 10:16 AM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Health

• I believe this is in the mouth right? I remember my mom had it and her tongue was covered in a white thick substance.....she was scared....she went to the doctors and they gave her this mouth wash to use twice a day and it literally melted that stuff off her tongue!! Just go to the doctor's for this one!
    stayhomemom22

Answer by stayhomemom22 at 10:19 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Yeah, it goes with the territory. I had an infection with my third child and the thrush with my fourth. I am sorry that you are having such a hard time. Yes cracked nipples are pretty common. To help with that, I recommend using Lansinoh. You can get it at walmart and its a yellow cream to help with the pain of the cracks and bleeding. Its wonderful. This all should get better and you should level out. The meds that the doc gives the baby for the thrush is called Nystatin. Just make sure you put some on your nipples to keep from passing it back and forth. Hang in there. Its worth it for babys immune system.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:59 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• aww that's awful. hang in there, call your local La Leche League for support or see if your insurance covers having a lactation consultant come to your home to help you out. If not, you can have a doula come see you ( I would if I was close to you!). PM me if you want some more help or just encouragement. Don't give up, it will get easier.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 2:58 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• For the cracked nipples, I know theres cream you can get to apply right after you feed each time and that helps! I know a lot of stores have it and it really helped me, and it doesn't harm the baby if its still on the nipple when they are ready for another feeding which is nice! or ive heard of even just rubbing breast milk on it afterwards helps. Once I started using the breast shield again that helped as well. Its just a little plastic 'sheild like' thing that slips over your nipple and it not only helps the baby with feeding, but also eases the pain and just makes the experience a whole lot better! Definatley check into that, i think its only a few dollars i know Advent carries them! good luck :)
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 3:19 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• the cream i was talking about, momofsaee mentioned Lansinoh. And when my daughter had thrush Genitian Violet is what we used, it can be purchased at any pharmacy and it worked great! (only downside is it makes their mouth purple lol)
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 3:21 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Consider feeding your baby formula. Breastfeeding isn't for everyone. Don't let anyone make you feel bad about it! You should be enjoying this time with your baby, not feeling pain. They grow up so fast. Seriously, give formula a try.
    Anonymous