Advent Calendars?

If you make your own what do you use as the gifts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Holidays

• Dove chocolates, peppermint candies, and dollar bills. :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 10:27 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I love advent calendars!! We usually fill them with small candies or chocolates. Also on the night of Dec. 5th, we polish our boots (or at least clean them LOL) put them in the window and St. Nicholas comes and fills them with candy, treats & small toys (if you're good) or switches and coal (if you're bad) -- of course we've never given coal & switches but back in the old days this could serve as a warning to all the naughty kids out there. It's an Eastern European tradition (I am Hungarian).
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:29 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I just buy the cheap-o $1.50 ones. The kids just get excited by opening the new door everyday. My sister has one theat is wood though and she uses the Hersheys miniatures.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:29 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• my frogein exchange student from germany made a fabuous one a few years ago! we put mini chocolate bars in ours!
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 10:30 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• We had one made out of quilted cloth, with little pockets for each day. In each pocket, there was a miniature ornament - angels, snowmen, Santas, candy canes, etc.  You were supposed to put one in the correct pocket each day. The second year, we put them all in the calendar at the beginning. Then, we bought a tiny Christmas tree, and put one on the tree , as we removed it from the calendar.  The small star for the top was the December 24th ornament.  It was fun idea.

earlgrey

Answer by earlgrey at 10:54 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I buy the ones with chocolate in them!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 11:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• We don't put candies in ours, we use slips of paper with little "treats" or fun things we do that night for example baking together, watching a holiday movie, doing a Christmas craft, family game night, or special outings like Zoo Lights or 19th Century Christmas reenactment, etc. The kids treasure the memories more than a piece of candy.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:10 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• We have ours that I put notes in, small chocolate coins, candy canes, mints, really things my daughter loves to eat and doesn't get very often sometimes money, little knick knack gifts, like my daughter loves horse so I will find a small horse and stick that in there, I have even put slim Jims in there whatever is fun this year there will also be silly bandz
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 10:01 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My mom and I used to buy Advent calendars together. The best calendars we ever purchased happened to be when we lived in Germany.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:01 AM on Oct. 22, 2010